Solving Lorentz Matrix Product Problem - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct product of matrices and the role of the delta tensor in the solution. The key point is that the trace of the delta tensor should be taken into account, which is equal to the total number of dimensions.
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

So consider the following product of matrices:
[itex] (p_{1}^{\mu}\cdot p_{1}^{\prime\nu} -(p_{1}\cdot p_{1}')\eta^{\mu\nu}+p_{1}^{\nu}p_{1}^{\prime\mu})(p_{2\mu}p_{2\nu}'-(p_{2}\cdot p_{2}')\eta_{\mu\nu}+p_{2\nu}p_{2\mu}') [/itex]

where eta is the Minkowski metric.

I keep getting

[itex]2(p_{1}\cdot p_{2})(p_{1}'\cdot p_{2}')+2(p_{1}\cdot p_{2}')(p_{1}'\cdot p_{2}) - 3(p_{1}\cdot p_{1}')(p_{2}\cdot p_{2}')[/itex]

But apparently its wrong; I'm meant to get just
[itex]2(p_{1}\cdot p_{2})(p_{1}'\cdot p_{2}')+2(p_{1}\cdot p_{2}')(p_{1}'\cdot p_{2}) [/itex]

Cant figure it out for the life of me -- someone please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be easier to see where you go wrong if you include your middle steps. The answer you are supposed to get seems correct.

Okay I'll write it out explicitly for you, please bear with me a moment.

gnZhjde.png

Here it is...

Btw is [itex]\eta^{\mu\nu}\eta_{\mu\nu}=1 [/itex] or [itex]-1[/itex] lol XD I've assumed its +1

It is neither ...
$$
\eta_{\mu\nu} \eta^{\mu\nu} = \delta^\mu_\mu = \ldots
$$

Edit: Your first expression in your attempt also does not match what you wrote in the OP. Only what you wrote in the attempt makes sense together with the presumtive answer so I am going to edit your OP to reflect this.

OMG so those terms vanish? :O

Dixanadu said:
OMG so those terms vanish? :O

That would depend on what terms you are referring to. What did you get for the trace of the delta?

That's fine there is a typo...there is a cdot somewhere it shouldn't be in the first term.

But mu isn't = nu and there is only one term where the two etas are being contracted. If that term goes to 0 I get

NrwG6pf.png

Sorry, but it is not clear what you are doing with your etas. What did you get for ##\eta^{\mu\nu}\eta_{\mu\nu}## in the end? This is of crucial importance for the problem so you need to write these steps out. Neglecting the term where the etas contract you should get -4 in front of the term where the p1s are contracted with each other (and te p2s with each other).

I think it's easier if I just tell you a few terms. So in each line there is an example of a product of terms:

ovtVlmh.png

Yes, the question mark is the crucial point here. What is the trace of the delta tensor?

is it 4..?

Yes doctor that solves my problem. The terms now cancel if I have a factor of 4 in front of one of them due to the trace of the delta tensor in spacetime. You saved the day once more doctor, you should consider becoming a superhero :D thank you!

Just for closure: Yes, it is 4. In general it is equal to the total number of dimensions.

Related to Solving Lorentz Matrix Product Problem - Help Needed

1. What is the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem and why is it important to solve?

The Lorentz Matrix Product Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the product of two matrices in a Lorentz transformation, which is a key concept in special relativity. It is important to solve because it allows us to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and make precise calculations in the field of physics.

2. What are the main challenges in solving the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem?

The main challenges in solving the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem include dealing with matrices that have complex numbers, ensuring the matrices meet the Lorentz transformation requirements, and performing the calculations accurately and efficiently.

3. How is the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem typically solved?

The Lorentz Matrix Product Problem is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as matrix multiplication, complex number operations, and Lorentz transformation equations. Additionally, computer programs and software are often used to perform the calculations and reduce the risk of human error.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem?

Yes, the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem has numerous real-world applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to accurately describe the behavior of particles in particle accelerators, design spacecraft trajectories, and study the effects of time dilation in space.

5. Are there any resources available for help in solving the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem?

Yes, there are many resources available including textbooks, online tutorials, and forums where experts in the field can provide guidance and assistance. There are also computer programs and software specifically designed for solving the Lorentz Matrix Product Problem. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mathematics or physics professor or colleague can also be beneficial.