Solving Limits Problem: Struggling with Missed Lecture Material

In summary, this student is having a hard time with homework because they missed the lecture and don't have any help from the textbook. They attempted to solve the homework equation but got stuck. When asked about the limit of the equation as n goes to infinity, they incorrectly said that it was 1. Finally, they were advised to use the limit function, e, and found that it was e^-7.
Bob Jonez

Homework Statement

I was sick and missed the lecture so having hard time with this problem @_@.
http://i.imgur.com/ByK7iVk.png

Homework Equations

I don't know how to solve it all the textbook don't have particular problem so having a hard time figuring it out.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt and where i got stuck.
http://i.imgur.com/ONvliRo.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at your second term ##\frac 7 {3n^2+7}##, what does this approach as n goes to infinity?

TJGilb said:
Take a look at your second term ##\frac 7 {3n^2+7}##, what does this approach as n goes to infinity?
Zero?

Yes. Since it's effectively ##\frac 1 \infty##. Now, what does that leave you with?

TJGilb said:
Yes. Since it's effectively ##\frac 1 \inf##. Now, what does that leave you with?
(1)^(n^2+1) ?

So, what is 1 to any power?

TJGilb said:
1 I think, sorry I am a bit slow today.

Yep. One multiplied by itself infinite times will get you one.

Edit: Ignore, turned out to be incorrect.

Last edited:
Bob Jonez said:
So that would be the whole soulution?

Assuming you didn't write the limit "as n goes to 8" in that last line on purpose, yes.

TJGilb said:
Assuming you didn't write the limit "as n goes to 8" in that last line on purpose, yes.
Woops yeah that would be infinity, thanks a lot.

Mentor note: This member has been warned about posting complete solutions.
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left({3n^2\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{n^2 + 1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{3n^2 + 3 + 4 - 4\over 3}$$

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{3n^2 + 7 - 4\over 3} =\lim_{n \to \infty} {\left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{3n^2 + 7\over 3} \over \left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{4 \over 3}} = \lim_{n \to \infty} {\left(1 +{-7/3\over (3n^2 + 7)/3} \right)^{3n^2 + 7\over 3}}$$

Now using ##e^x = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+ {x\over n}\right)^n##
the given limit is
$$ \lim_{n \to \infty} {\left(1 +{-7/3\over (3n^2 + 7)/3} \right)^{3n^2 + 7\over 3}} = e^{-7 \over 3}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
TJGilb said:

TJGilb said:
Yep. One multiplied by itself infinite times will get you one.
This is not true, in general. For example, ##\lim_{n \to \infty}(1 + 1/n)^n = e##. Even though the base is approaching 1, and the exponent is becoming unbounded, the limit is not equal to 1, a contradiction to what you said above.

@TJGilb, please take care when you give advice that your advice is factually correct.

Buffu said:
@Bob Jonez, @TJGilb
I think the limit is not 1.

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left({3n^2\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{n^2 + 1} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{3n^2 + 3 + 4 - 4\over 3}$$

$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{3n^2 + 7 - 4\over 3} =\lim_{n \to \infty} {\left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{3n^2 + 7\over 3} \over \left(1 +{-7\over 3n^2 + 7} \right)^{4 \over 3}} = \lim_{n \to \infty} {\left(1 +{-7/3\over (3n^2 + 7)/3} \right)^{3n^2 + 7\over 3}}$$

Now using ##e^x = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left(1+ {x\over n}\right)^n##
the given limit is
$$ \lim_{n \to \infty} {\left(1 +{-7/3\over (3n^2 + 7)/3} \right)^{3n^2 + 7\over 3}} = e^{-7 \over 3}$$
Thanks glad I noticed the correct version. Appreciate it, this community is amazing!

Bob Jonez said:
Thanks glad I noticed the correct version. Appreciate it, this community is amazing!
Don't be so happy, you won't get full solutions like this from next time. :(((

Related to Solving Limits Problem: Struggling with Missed Lecture Material

1. What are limits in mathematics?

Limits in mathematics refer to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input (or independent variable) approaches a specific value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a certain point.

2. Why are limits important?

Limits are important in mathematics as they allow us to study the behavior of functions and sequences at specific points. They also help us to determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence or function, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. How do I solve limit problems?

To solve limit problems, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, rationalizing, and the use of limit laws. It is important to identify the type of limit problem you are dealing with and choose the appropriate method to solve it.

4. What are the common types of limit problems?

Some common types of limit problems include finding the limit at a specific point, finding the limit at infinity, and finding the limit of a quotient, product, or composite function. Each type of limit problem requires a different approach to solve it.

5. Can limits be used to evaluate the continuity of a function?

Yes, limits can be used to evaluate the continuity of a function. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. If a function is not continuous at a point, then the limit at that point does not exist.