Solving Laplace Inversion with Erfc

In summary: N+1:-1:1); % a is descending powersIn summary, the conversation discusses using Laplace transform to solve a PDE and inverting an expression of the form \frac{\exp{(-as-b\sqrt{s})}}{s^2}. Mathematica is unable to invert this expression, but the method of convolution can be used. One suggestion is to check the convergence of successive Páde approximations for the exponential function. A suggestion is also made to use MATLAB's "doc pade" function or the symbolic toolbox to modify the function for a specific case. One person has written a script for computing the coefficients of the Páde approximant and is looking for feedback
matematikawan
When trying to solve a pde using Laplace transform, I need to invert an expression of the form
[tex]\frac{\exp{(-as-b\sqrt{s})}}{s^2}[/tex]

A friend told me that Mathematica cannot invert such expression. I try using convolution but a bit loss when trying to evaluate the integral of Erfc(.).
[tex]L^{-1}\{\frac{\exp{(-as-b\sqrt{s})}}{s^2} \}[/tex]

[tex]=L^{-1} \{ \frac{e^{-as}}{s} \} * L^{-1} \{ \frac{e^{-b\sqrt{s}}}{s} \} [/tex]

[tex]=H(t-a) * Erfc(\frac{b}{2\sqrt{t}}\) [/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^t H(t-\tau-a) Erfc(\frac{b}{2\sqrt{\tau}}\) d\tau[/tex]

How do we proceed from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only a suggestion but you can check the convergence of succesive Páde approximations for the exponential in your first post and maybe from analyticity you can have a conclusion.

Thanks trambolin for the suggestion on cross checking the answer. Although new to the method, I will give a try with this Páde approximations (some website write it as approximant).

It looks like there are scripts for mathematica at certain website that allow us to compute the coefficients of the Páde approximations. But a MATLAB script will greatly help because I'm more familier with this software. Does anyone seen such a MATLAB script before?

actually if you type "doc pade" you can see what the function is, in MATLAB. But it works only for [itex]e^{sT}[/itex]. You can modify it a little bit further with some amount of boring work for your own function.

Actually the whole thing is nothing but the Taylor expansion and truncation. You can use even symbolic toolbox of MATLAB I guess.

matematikawan said:
Is it all right if I proceed this way
[tex]=\int_{t-a}^t \mbox{Erfc}(\frac{b}{2\sqrt{\tau}}) d\tau[/tex]

[tex]= F(t) - F(t-a)[/tex] where F(x)=http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=Erfc[b/2/Sqrt[x]]&random=false"Any comment ?

If t-a>0, then I believe it should be:

[itex]\int_{0}^{t-a} \text{erfc}\left(\frac{b}{2\sqrt{\tau}}\right)d\tau=F(t-a)-\lim_{\tau\to 0} F(\tau)[/itex]

since the antiderivative returned by Mathematica has a [itex]\sqrt{\tau}[/itex] in the denominator. Also, you can check all this numerically by just numerically integrating the inverse transform from say 1-k i to 1+k i for some reasonable range unless the integrand is badly-behaved. For example, when a=b=1 and t=5, just integrating it from 1-30 i to 1+30 i gives an answer in agreement to the antiderivative above correct to 5 decimal places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. My progress is a bit slow. However I do manage to write a script for computing the coefficients of the Pade approximant. :smile: The script gives the same result for exp(x) as found in the book Essentials of Pade Approximants by George A.Baker, Jr. Comments welcome.

function [a b] = pade(f,N);

% Compute the coefficients for an O(N)/O(N) Pade'
% approximant to the symbolic function f(x) about x=0
%
% Parameters:
% f - orginal function (using symbolic variable)
% N - highest order term in approximant
% y - point to expand about (number)
% a - coefficients of the numerator (decending)
% b - coefficients of the denominator (decending)

% Present version only expands around x=0
%
% Modified from: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/4388-pade-approximant"01/18/2004

Nc=2*N+1;

% Symbolic computation of first 2N+1 terms of the taylor series
fser=taylor(f,0,Nc);

% Extract the expansion coefficients
c=sym2poly(fser)';
fser=taylor(f,0,Nc);

% Extract the expansion coefficients
c=sym2poly(fser)';

% Reverse the order (ascending powers)
c=c(Nc:-1:1);

lhs=zeros(N);
for r=1:N
lhs(r,:)=c(r+1:N+r);
end

for r=1:N
rhs(r)=-c(N+r+1);
end

b=lhs\rhs';

b=b(N:-1:1);
b=[1; b]'; % b is denominator coefficients b1+b2*x+b3*x^2+...

a(1)=c(1);
for r=2:(N+1)
total=c(r);
for k=1:(r-1)
total=total+b(k+1)*c(r-k);
end
a(r)=total; % a is numerator coefficients
end

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Laplace Inversion with Erfc

1. What is Laplace Inversion?

Laplace Inversion is a mathematical technique used to find the original function from its Laplace transform. It is often used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. What is the Erfc function?

The Erfc function, also known as the complementary error function, is a special function in mathematics that is defined as the integral of the Gaussian distribution. It is commonly used in statistics and probability, and it is an essential component in solving Laplace Inversion problems.

3. How is Laplace Inversion with Erfc performed?

To solve Laplace Inversion with Erfc, the Laplace transform of the function is first taken. Then, the inverse function is found using a combination of algebraic and numerical techniques, often involving the use of Erfc. The final step is to take the inverse Laplace transform to obtain the original function.

4. What are the applications of solving Laplace Inversion with Erfc?

The technique of solving Laplace Inversion with Erfc has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, control systems, and heat transfer. It is also used in the study of diffusion processes, queueing theory, and queueing networks.

5. Are there any challenges in solving Laplace Inversion with Erfc?

Yes, there can be challenges in solving Laplace Inversion with Erfc, especially when dealing with complex functions or systems with multiple variables. It requires a good understanding of both Laplace transforms and Erfc, as well as knowledge of numerical methods and mathematical software to accurately solve the problem.