Solving Integration by Parts: Stuck on \int \sqrt{9-x^2}dx

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving integration by parts and how to simplify the equation by expressing the integrand as a product of two functions of x. The goal is to find the right "u" and "dv" in order to successfully solve the integral. Different techniques are suggested, such as factoring and using the derivative of the radical function.
Yann
I've got a simple, at least it seems so;

[tex]
\int \sqrt{9-x^2}dx
[/tex]

I MUST solve it "by parts" (withtout trigonometric substitutions), but I'm stuck. If i choose u = (9-x^2)^(1/2), du = -x/((9-x^2)^(1/2)), dv = dx, v = x. I then have;

[tex]
x\sqrt{9-x^2} + \int \frac{x^2dx}{\sqrt{9-x^2}}
[/tex]

Everything I do just make the equation more complicated. I know I have to choose another u and dv, but every choice I made only make it worse.

Physics news on Phys.org
the thing to remember about integration by parts is that in the first integral you need to have a PRODUCT of two functions.
[tex] \int u dv = u v - \int v du [/tex]
so the real question is, how do you make [itex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} [/itex] be a product of two terms?

Last edited:
Thanks for answering,

It's common to use "dx" as "dv", it doesn't seem to be helping me on this one though. And [tex]\sqrt{9-x^2}[/tex] can be a product, but it's not necessarily something easy to integrate and that's my problem, I can't get it only integrable parts.

no, you can't use dx = dv. that isn't going to help you out, because you'll need to integrate x in the next step and the more steps you have, the more you integrate x and you can do that forever. why?
in order to use integration by parts, the integrand needs to be a product of two functions of x. here is why this is so:
using the standard notation of capital being anti-derivative (integral f(x) dx = F(x))
[tex] \int U(x) v(x) dx = U(x) V(x) - \int V(x) u(x) dx [/tex]
if you like prime notation better (i do so I'm going to use it :biggrin: ):
[tex] \int u(x) v'(x) dx = u(x) v(x) - \int v(x) u'(x) dx [/tex]
this shows really good what integration by parts is doing. if you rearange the terms you get:
[tex] u(x) v(x) = \int u(x) v'(x) dx + \int u'(x) v(x) dx [/tex]
if you take the derivative wrt x on both sides you get:
[tex] \frac{d} {dx} ( u(x) v(x) ) = u(x) v'(x) + u'(x) v(x) [/tex]
look framiliar? it should, it's the PRODUCT rule.
So, in order for integration by parts to work, the integrand in the integral you are trying to solve needs to be a product of 2 functions. the integrand you have been given is:
[tex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} = f(x) [/tex]
what you need to do is figure out how to express f(x) as a product of two functions.
[tex] f(x) = u(x) v(x) [/tex]
choosing v'(x) = 1 isn't going to get the job done seeing as how it isn't a function of x, it is a constant (1). It is just going to add another term to the integral on the RHS and what you're trying to do is simplify the integral, not add extra terms to it. (If you can pick a u such that du = 1 , that's great, the integral on the RHS will be that much easier.)

how can you express [itex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} [/itex] as a product of two FUNCTIONS of x?

Last edited:
It can be usefull to take 1 as dv (for the integral of ln(x) for example), but you're right it's useless here. However, the problem is that (9-x^2) are fused together, I can't get them out unless i make it 9/(9-x^2)^(1/2)-x^2/(9-x^2)^(1/2). And I can't use (9-x^2)^a*(9-x^2)^b, because I'd need to integrate at least one of them and I don't have the necessary -2x. So my problem is really choosing the right "u" and "dv".

Yann said:
However, the problem is that (9-x^2) are fused together, I can't get them out

why do you need to get them out?
you can represent (9-x²) as a product of two functions of x easily.
If f(x) is a second degree polynomial, then f(x) = g(x)h(x) by definition.
hint: try factoring f(x)

Last edited:
I'm really sorry, maybe it's stress, but I don't know how to do that kind of equation and exams are soon. I don't know how to put [tex]\sqrt{9-x^2}[/tex].

You used parts on sqrt(9-x^2). For the integral that results from this technque you could try to make use of:

[tex]
\frac{{x^2 }}{{\sqrt {9 - x^2 } }} = x\frac{x}{{\sqrt {9 - x^2 } }}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{d}{{dx}}\left( {\sqrt {9 - x^2 } } \right) = - \frac{x}{{\sqrt {9 - x^2 } }}
[/tex]

Use the above to integrate by parts, the integral you are have trouble with. See what you come up with, it should be fairly easy to deduce the answer. Hope this helps.

9 - x² is a difference of squares;
9 - x² = (3-x)(3+x) = f(x)g(x)
then:
√(9 - x²) = √[(3-x)(3+x)] = √(3-x)√(3+x)

emptymaximum said:
no, you can't use dx = dv. that isn't going to help you out, because you'll need to integrate x in the next step and the more steps you have, the more you integrate x and you can do that forever. why?
in order to use integration by parts, the integrand needs to be a product of two functions of x. here is why this is so:
using the standard notation of capital being anti-derivative (integral f(x) dx = F(x))
[tex] \int U(x) v(x) dx = U(x) V(x) - \int V(x) u(x) dx [/tex]
if you like prime notation better (i do so I'm going to use it :biggrin: ):
[tex] \int u(x) v'(x) dx = u(x) v(x) - \int v(x) u'(x) dx [/tex]
this shows really good what integration by parts is doing. if you rearange the terms you get:
[tex] u(x) v(x) = \int u(x) v'(x) dx + \int u'(x) v(x) dx [/tex]
if you take the derivative wrt x on both sides you get:
[tex] \frac{d} {dx} ( u(x) v(x) ) = u(x) v'(x) + u'(x) v(x) [/tex]
look framiliar? it should, it's the PRODUCT rule.
So, in order for integration by parts to work, the integrand in the integral you are trying to solve needs to be a product of 2 functions. the integrand you have been given is:
[tex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} = f(x) [/tex]
what you need to do is figure out how to express f(x) as a product of two functions.
[tex] f(x) = u(x) v(x) [/tex]
choosing v'(x) = 1 isn't going to get the job done seeing as how it isn't a function of x, it is a constant (1). It is just going to add another term to the integral on the RHS and what you're trying to do is simplify the integral, not add extra terms to it. (If you can pick a u such that du = 1 , that's great, the integral on the RHS will be that much easier.)

how can you express [itex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} [/itex] as a product of two FUNCTIONS of x?
?
WHAT? What do you mean? :confused:
Why can't I choose dv = dx? What's wrong with that choice?
Suppose you are to integrate the function:
[tex]\int \ln x dx[/tex], how are you going to you tackle this problem without letting u = ln(x) and dv = dx?
Am I missing something? :confused:
----------------------
emptymaximum said:
√(9 - x²) = √[(3-x)(3+x)] = √(3-x)√(3+x)
I am confused... How can I continue if I let u = √(3-x) and dv = √(3+x)dx?
Am I missing something here? :confused:
----------------------
@Yann: you should follow Benny's suggestion.

Last edited:
Let's say I take (3-x)^(1/2) as u, (3+x)^(1/2) as dv;

[tex]\frac{2}{3}(3-x)^{1/2}(3+x)^{3/2}-\int \frac{1}{2}(3-x)^{-1/2}\times\frac{2}{3}(3+x)^{3/2}[/tex]

It's a dead end. Same thing If i take (9-x^2)^(1/2) as u and dx as dv;

[tex]x(9-x^2)^{1/2}-\int x\frac{-xdx}{(9-x^2)^{1/2}}[/tex]

It's also a dead end.

I really need to know how to solve it, I don't care about the answer I can have it I want to see how it can be solved so I won't have problem at my exam... I start to wonder, at least is it possible ? I've ask lots of people, nobody ever found how !

Yes, since this involves a sine inverse in the answer, I don't see how this can be done without trig substitution. Have you consulted with your teacher?

Well, I'll try with a substitution;

[tex]\int \sqrt{a^2-x^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]x = a\sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]dx = a\cos\theta\theta[/tex]

[tex]\theta = \sin^{-1}(x/a)[/tex]

[tex]\int a\sqrt{\cos^2\theta}a\cos\theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int a^2\cos^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]cos^2=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(2\theta))[/tex]

So;

[tex]\int \frac{a^2}{2}+\frac{a^2}{2}\cos(2\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^2\theta}{2}+\frac{a^2}{4}\sin(2\theta) +C[/tex]

[tex]\sin 2u = 2\sin\cos[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a^2\theta}{2}+\frac{a^2}{2}\sin\theta\cos\theta +C[/tex]

Getting rid of [tex]\theta[/tex]...

[tex]\frac{a^2}{2}\sin^{-1}(x/a)+\frac{x}{2}\sqrt{a^2-x^2}+C[/tex]

So, with a = 3;

[tex]\int \sqrt{9-x^2}dx=\frac{9}{2}\sin^{-1}(x/3)+\frac{x}{2}\sqrt{9-x^2}+C[/tex]
Is that right ?

Last edited:
Yup. That looks good. :smile:
-------------------
By the way, have you covered that the derivative of Arcsin(x) is: [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}}[/tex]? If you have already covered that, then you don't really need to use trigonometric substitutions.
Now:
[tex]\frac{d\arcsin (x)}{dx} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}}[/tex], that means:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}} = \arcsin (x) + C[/tex], right?
Now we'll find the anti-derivative to the function:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2}}[/tex]. (a > 0). Let x = at => dx = a dt.
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2}} = \int \frac{a \ dt}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 - a ^ 2 t ^ 2}} = \int \frac{a \ dt}{a\sqrt{1 - t ^ 2}} = \int \frac{\ dt}{\sqrt{1 - t ^ 2}} = \arcsin (t) + C = \arcsin \left( \frac{x}{a} \right) + C[/tex].
----------------------
Now, go back to your problem, by integrating by parts, you have:
[tex]\sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} \ dx = x \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} \ + \ \int \frac{x ^ 2 \ dx}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2}} = x \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} \ + \ \int \frac{- (- x ^ 2 + a ^ 2) + a ^ 2}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2}} \ dx[/tex]
[tex]= x \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} \ - \ \int \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} dx \ + \ \int \frac{a ^ 2}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2}} \ dx[/tex]
Rearrang it a bit, we have:
[tex]2 \int \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} dx = x \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} \ + \ \int \frac{a ^ 2}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2}} \ dx = x \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} \ + \ a ^ 2 \arcsin \left( \frac{x}{a} \right) + C[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \int \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} dx = \frac{x}{2} \sqrt{a ^ 2 - x ^ 2} \ + \ \frac{a ^ 2}{2} \arcsin \left( \frac{x}{a} \right) + C[/tex]
What is exactly what you have by using trigonometric substitutions. Congratulations... :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Solving Integration by Parts: Stuck on \int \sqrt{9-x^2}dx

1. How do I know when to use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a product of two functions. This method is particularly useful when one of the functions becomes simpler after being differentiated and the other becomes simpler after being integrated.

2. What is the first step in solving this particular integration by parts problem?

In this problem, the first step would be to identify which function should be differentiated and which should be integrated. In this case, we can let u = sqrt(9-x^2) and dv = dx. This is because the derivative of sqrt(9-x^2) will become simpler (3x/sqrt(9-x^2)) and the integral of dx is just x.

3. How do I choose the correct u and dv for integration by parts?

There is no set rule for choosing u and dv, but a good tip is to choose u to be the more complicated function and dv to be the simpler function. This will usually result in a simpler integral to evaluate.

4. What is the formula for solving integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the chosen functions and du and dv are their respective differentials.

5. How can I check if my integration by parts solution is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the result and seeing if it matches the original integrand. You can also use online integration calculators to verify your answer.