Solving integral with fractions

In summary: And then integrate from here. Is that the idea?Don't forget that every term also needs to be divided by v...\int\dfrac{u^3}{u-1}\,du=\int\dfrac{u^3-1+1}{u-1}\,du=\int\dfrac{(u-1)(u^2+u+1)}{u-1}+\dfrac{1}{u-1}\,du...I have this integral:$$6 \int \frac {u^3}{u - 1} \,du$$But I'm unsure how to proceed from here
tmt1
I have this integral:

$$\int_{}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x} - {x}^{\frac{1}{3}}} \,dx$$

So, I can set $u^6 = x$ then $6u^5 du = dx$.

I can substitute that in and get:

$$6 \int_{}^{} \frac {u^5}{u^3 - u^2} \,du$$

Then I can simplify to

$$6 \int_{}^{} \frac {u^3}{u - 1} \,du$$

But I'm unsure how to proceed from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have this integral:

$$\int_{}^{} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x} - {x}^{\frac{1}{3}}} \,dx$$

So, I can set $u^6 = x$ then $6u^5 du = dx$.

I can substitute that in and get:

$$6 \int_{}^{} \frac {u^5}{u^3 - u^2} \,du$$

Then I can simplify to

$$6 \int_{}^{} \frac {u^3}{u - 1} \,du$$

I would substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} v = u - 1 \implies \mathrm{d}v = \mathrm{d}u \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 6\int{\frac{u^3}{u - 1 }\,\mathrm{d}u} &= 6\int{ \frac{\left( v + 1 \right) ^3}{v}\,\mathrm{d}v } \end{align*}$

Can you proceed?

Prove It said:
I would substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} v = u - 1 \implies \mathrm{d}v = \mathrm{d}u \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 6\int{\frac{u^3}{u - 1 }\,\mathrm{d}u} &= 6\int{ \frac{\left( v + 1 \right) ^3}{v}\,\mathrm{d}v } \end{align*}$

Can you proceed?

So then I have to multiply out the cube, and get:

$$6 \int_{}^{} v^3 \,dv + 18 \int_{}^{} v^2 \,dv + 18 \int_{}^{} v \,dv + 6 \int_{}^{} \,dv $$

And then integrate from here. Is that the idea?

tmt said:
So then I have to multiply out the cube, and get:

$$6 \int_{}^{} v^3 \,dv + 18 \int_{}^{} v^2 \,dv + 18 \int_{}^{} v \,dv + 6 \int_{}^{} \,dv $$

And then integrate from here. Is that the idea?

Don't forget that every term also needs to be divided by v...

\(\displaystyle \int\dfrac{u^3}{u-1}\,du=\int\dfrac{u^3-1+1}{u-1}\,du\)

\(\displaystyle =\int\dfrac{(u-1)(u^2+u+1)}{u-1}+\dfrac{1}{u-1}\,du\)

tmt said:
I have this integral:

$$6 \int \frac {u^3}{u - 1} \,du$$

How about Long Division?

. . . [tex]\frac{6u^3}{u-1} \;=\;6\left(u^2 + u + 1 + \frac{1}{u-1}\right) [/tex]

Related to Solving integral with fractions

What is the process for solving an integral with fractions?

The process for solving an integral with fractions involves finding a common denominator, simplifying the fraction, and then using the power rule for integration.

Can I use substitution to solve an integral with fractions?

Yes, substitution can be used to solve an integral with fractions. In some cases, it may make the integration process simpler and more efficient.

What is the difference between a rational and irrational function?

A rational function is a function that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomial functions, while an irrational function is a function that cannot be expressed in this form and often contains irrational numbers such as pi or square roots.

Do I need to use partial fractions when solving an integral with multiple fractions?

Yes, partial fractions are often used when solving integrals with multiple fractions. This involves breaking down the fraction into simpler forms that can be more easily integrated.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral with fractions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral with fractions include forgetting to simplify the fraction, using the wrong power rule for integration, and not considering the limits of integration. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of any potential errors.