Solving Integral Problem: Stuck on Integration Steps, Need Suggestions

• Thread starter anderma8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps taken to solve the integral of (3x^3 + 4x)/(x^2+1)^2. The individual breaks down the integral and suggests a potential mistake in the final step. After correcting the mistake, the final solution is given as 1/2(x^2 + 1) + c.
anderma8
I'm trying to do the following:

int (3x^3 + 4x)/(x^2+1)^2 dx

I let u = x^2+1 and I eventually get:

int 3(u-1)+4/u^2 du/2 When I further break this down, I get:

1/2 int 3u^-1 -u^-2 du am I on the right track? When I integrate this, I'm thinking that I have to be doing something wrong...

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks fine to me as far as the final line there is a slight mistake with the signage.

thanks for the 2nd set of eyes... Maybe it should read:

1/2 int (3u^-1) - (u^-2) du

I end up with 1/2 u^-1 +c or 1/2(x^2 + 1) + c since u=x^2+1

You have:

[tex]\int \frac{3x^3+4x}{(x^2+1)^2}dx[/tex]

Put [tex] u=x^2+1 \Rightarrow du=2xdx[/tex]

Which gives:

[tex]\frac{3}{2} \int \frac{du}{u} - \frac{3}{2} \int \frac{du}{u^2} + 2 \int \frac{du}{u^2} [/tex]

If you simplify that it will give you something slightly different to what you have. Its basically just a change of sign. Then all you need to do is evaluate the integrals.

Related to Solving Integral Problem: Stuck on Integration Steps, Need Suggestions

1. What is the purpose of integrating probability?

The purpose of integrating probability is to calculate the area under a probability distribution curve to determine the likelihood of a certain event or outcome occurring. This can be useful in various fields such as finance, statistics, and science.

2. What are the common techniques used in solving integration problems involving probability?

Some common techniques used in solving integration problems involving probability include using the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, and integration by parts. It is also important to have a good understanding of probability rules and properties.

3. How can I improve my understanding of integrating probability?

To improve your understanding of integrating probability, it is recommended to practice solving various integration problems and to familiarize yourself with different probability distributions and their properties. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and learn from others.

4. What are the common challenges in solving integration problems involving probability?

Some common challenges in solving integration problems involving probability include identifying the correct probability distribution to use, setting up the integral correctly, and applying the correct integration techniques. It is important to carefully read the problem and to have a good understanding of the concepts involved.

5. Are there any resources available to help with understanding and solving integration problems involving probability?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also consult with your professor or teaching assistant for additional help and clarification. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where you can ask for assistance from other students and experts in the field.