Solving Integral Equation: $\frac{\sin\left(x\right)}{\cos^{3}\left(x\right)}$

• B
  • Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for integrating the function (1/2)sin(x)/cos^3(x) and how the results differ only by a constant. The difference is hidden in the constant and can be solved by substituting the numerator with sin^2(x) + cos^2(x). The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
Saracen Rue
Hi all, just a quick question:

I'm trying to integrate this function in two different ways and I'm getting a different answer each way, can someone please quickly tell me where I'm going wrong? I've read through it for a couple hours and can't pick up the mistake.

##\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=-\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\frac{-\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=-\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\left(\frac{1}{u^3}\right)\frac{du}{dx}\cdot dx=-\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\left(\frac{1}{u^3}\right)du=-\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{-1}{2}\cdot \frac{1}{u^2}+c=\frac{1}{4\cos ^2\left(x\right)}+c##

##\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\frac{\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\frac{\tan \left(x\right)}{\cos ^2\left(x\right)}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }u\cdot \frac{du}{dx}\cdot dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }u\cdot du=\frac{1}{4}u^2+c=\frac{1}{4}\tan ^2\left(x\right)+c##

Thanks for your time :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference is the constants of integration will be different. Both are correct. ## tan^2(\theta)+1 =sec^2(\theta) ##.

Saracen Rue said:
Hi all, just a quick question:

I'm trying to integrate this function in two different ways and I'm getting a different answer each way, can someone please quickly tell me where I'm going wrong? I've read through it for a couple hours and can't pick up the mistake.

##\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=-\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\frac{-\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=-\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\left(\frac{1}{u^3}\right)\frac{du}{dx}\cdot dx=-\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\left(\frac{1}{u^3}\right)du=-\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{-1}{2}\cdot \frac{1}{u^2}+c=\frac{1}{4\cos ^2\left(x\right)}+c##

##\int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\frac{\sin \left(x\right)}{\cos ^3\left(x\right)}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }\frac{\tan \left(x\right)}{\cos ^2\left(x\right)}dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }u\cdot \frac{du}{dx}\cdot dx=\frac{1}{2}\int _{ }^{ }u\cdot du=\frac{1}{4}u^2+c=\frac{1}{4}\tan ^2\left(x\right)+c##

Thanks for your time :)
That was a tough one. You've hidden the difference in the constant. The result is
$$
\frac{1}{4cos^2x}= \frac{sin^2 x + cos^2 x}{4cos^2x}= \frac{1}{4}(tan^2 x +1)
$$

Edit: @Charles Link beat me to it. I probably have searched too long where exactly the difference appears.

Likes Charles Link
They only differ by a constant. In your first result, substitute the numerator 1 = sin2+cos2.

Edit: And I am the slowest of all. :>)

Likes fresh_42
Charles Link said:
The only difference is the constants of integration will be different. Both are correct. ## tan^2(\theta)+1 =sec^2(\theta) ##.
fresh_42 said:
That was a tough one. You've hidden the difference in the constant. The result is
$$
\frac{1}{4cos^2x}= \frac{sin^2 x + cos^2 x}{4cos^2x}= \frac{1}{4}(tan^2 x +1)
$$

Edit: @Charles Link beat me to it. I probably have searched too long where exactly the difference appears.
FactChecker said:
They only differ by a constant. In your first result, substitute the numerator 1 = sin2+cos2.

Edit: And I am the slowest of all. :>)

Thanks everyone :) I knew it would be something little like that. I'm always fine with applying the deriving/integration rules for particular functions and whatnot, but I typically end up messing up basic algebra haha. Anyway, thank you all again :)

Likes Charles Link

Related to Solving Integral Equation: $\frac{\sin\left(x\right)}{\cos^{3}\left(x\right)}$

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function under an integral sign. It is typically used to find an unknown function or to solve problems related to physical systems.

2. How do you solve an integral equation?

To solve an integral equation, you need to use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. You also need to have a good understanding of the properties of integrals and the rules of differentiation.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a general form of the solution.

4. How do you approach solving the integral equation $\frac{\sin\left(x\right)}{\cos^{3}\left(x\right)}$?

To solve this integral equation, you can use the trigonometric identity $\sin\left(x\right)=\cos\left(x\right)\tan\left(x\right)$ and then substitute it into the equation. This will result in a new integral that can be solved using integration by parts.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving integral equations?

Integral equations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model real-world problems and find solutions for systems that involve continuous functions. For example, integral equations are used to calculate electric potential in electrical engineering and to solve differential equations in physics.