Solving Inequality: x^2+2ix+3<0

• A
  • Thread starter Dacu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the inequality x^2+2ix+3<0 where i^2=-1. It is mentioned that the ordering for real numbers does not apply to complex numbers, but there are some values of x for which the inequality makes sense. The equation is then transformed into an equality and a solution is given using the fundamental theorem of algebra. The reason for the conversation is to apply this concept in real world applications.
Dacu
Hello,
Solve inequality [tex]x^2+2ix+3<0[/tex] where [tex]i^2=-1[/tex]

Likes Abel Cavaşi
Physics news on Phys.org
The ordering you mean, that is well-defined for real numbers, is not defined for complex numbers. So your inequality doesn't make sense.

There are some ##x## for which it does make sense though. So start by figuring out for which ##x## you obtain real numbers.

Likes ShayanJ
Any inequality can be transformed into equality and so we can write [tex]x^2+2ix+3=a[/tex] where [tex]i^2=-1[/tex] and [tex]a\in \mathbb R^-[/tex].Solving the equation is very simple ...

Likes Abel Cavaşi
OK... So what is the solution then?

Dacu said:
Any inequality can be transformed into equality and so we can write [tex]x^2+2ix+3=a[/tex] where [tex]i^2=-1[/tex] and [tex]a\in \mathbb R^-[/tex].Solving the equation is very simple ...
Yes, it is. Do you understand that the inequality you originally post makes no sense?

You say "any inequality can transformed into an equality". Of course, you can just replace "<" or ">" with "=" but that is not what I would call "transforming"?

If x is a pure imaginary (x=iy) then the question makes sense [itex]-y^2-2y+3<0\ or \ y^2+2y>3[/itex]

Hello,
Inequality solutions are given by formula:
[tex]x=i(-1\mp \sqrt{4-a})[/tex] where [tex]a\in \mathbb R ^-[/tex]

OK... Is there any reason in particular that you created this thread?

Reason:
Applications on "The fundamental theorem of algebra".

Related to Solving Inequality: x^2+2ix+3<0

What is the meaning of the inequality x^2+2ix+3<0?

The inequality x^2+2ix+3<0 represents a quadratic function with complex coefficients. It is an inequality, rather than an equation, because it includes the "less than" symbol. This inequality can be solved to find the values of x that make the inequality true.

How do you solve an inequality with complex coefficients?

To solve an inequality with complex coefficients, you can use the quadratic formula. This formula will give you the values of x that satisfy the inequality. You can then graph these values on a number line to visualize the solution set.

Why is it important to solve inequalities?

Solving inequalities is important because it allows us to determine the range of values that make an expression true. Inequalities are often used in real-world applications, such as determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, or setting boundaries for a given situation.

What are the steps for solving the inequality x^2+2ix+3<0?

The steps for solving the inequality x^2+2ix+3<0 are as follows:

1. Use the quadratic formula to find the roots of the quadratic function.
  2. Plot these roots on a number line.
  3. Choose a test point in each of the intervals created by the roots.
  4. Substitute the test point into the original inequality to determine if it is true or false.
  5. If the inequality is true for a given interval, then that interval is part of the solution set.
  6. Continue this process until all intervals have been tested and the solution set is complete.

Can the inequality x^2+2ix+3<0 have multiple solutions?

Yes, the inequality x^2+2ix+3<0 can have multiple solutions. This is due to the fact that the quadratic formula can yield both a positive and a negative root for the same quadratic function. Therefore, there can be multiple intervals on the number line that satisfy the inequality, leading to multiple solutions.