Solving Inclined Plane w/ Frictionless Box: Find Accel & Force

In summary: F=mgsin(theta), then you would need to apply a force that is parallel to the incline in order to keep the box at rest.
map7s

Homework Statement

(a) A box is placed on an frictionless inclined plane with an angle of 18° from the horizontal. The box has a mass of 35 kg, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the box along the inclined plane?
(b) What magnitude of force would you need to apply to the box in order to keep it at rest? Assume there is no friction and the force applied is parallel to the ground.

Homework Equations

F=ma=W
F=mgsin

The Attempt at a Solution

using a combination of the two equations I got that the answer for the first part was 3.03 m/s2 (which was right), but I'm still rather confused about the second part. Do I have to set a=0, because that would mean that F would have to be zero (which wouldn't make sense...and isn't right either). I guess I mainly need help in setting this problem up and the reasoning behind it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it does mean you have to apply another force parallel to the incline to have [tex] \sum F = 0 [/tex]. Once the equilibrium position is reached the box moves with constant velocity, in this case it would be zero (i.e., at rest).

Think about what forces you would need to act against in order to keep the box at rest.

Now that you've thought about that, think about what force YOU would need to apply in order to keep the box at rest.

Hint: We know if the box is at rest, then Fnet = 0.

Let me know if this helps. If it does not, I can make it a bit more clear.

well, since it is a frictionless surface, you would need to conteract against gravity...and if Fnet=0...the only way you could get that would be if you subtracted the original force so...do you basically have to use the acceleration from part a to solve for F and that would be your answer? (or am I off track...)

also, because it says that the force is going to be parallel to the ground, do I need to include the sin of the angle, or would that already be incorporated into my answer?

ummm...I'm still not really sure if this is right...

Related to Solving Inclined Plane w/ Frictionless Box: Find Accel & Force

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane with a frictionless box?

To calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane with a frictionless box, you need to know the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity. Then, you can use the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the force of gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline in radians.

2. What is the force acting on the object on the inclined plane?

The force acting on the object on the inclined plane is the gravitational force, which is equal to mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the force of gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. How do I find the force of gravity on an object on an inclined plane?

The force of gravity on an object on an inclined plane can be found by multiplying the mass of the object by the force of gravity (9.8 m/s²). This is the same as using the formula F = mg, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and g is the force of gravity (9.8 m/s²).

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the acceleration of the object?

The angle of the incline and the acceleration of the object have an inverse relationship. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the acceleration of the object decreases.

5. Can the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane ever be zero?

Yes, the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane can be zero if the angle of the incline is zero. This means that the incline is horizontal and the object is not moving. In this case, the force of gravity is balanced by an equal and opposite force from the incline.