Solving Homework Equations: The Attached Voltage Across Capacitor

In summary, the conversation includes a question about the correct approach to a problem involving voltage and resistance, a solution using the power equation and substitution of known values, and confirmation that the capacitor is not relevant for the second part of the problem.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Attached

Homework Equations

The one given in the hint (as attached) for voltage across capacitor wrt time.
P=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to know whether I've gone about this question in the right way. For the first part I simply rearranged the voltage equation for the resistance R and substituted the known values.

For the second part, I simply used the power equation above and substituted in the previously calculated resistance and 500v for the voltage. I'm not sure if that's right though, and I'm not sure how to account for the capacitor, or if it's required even. Any help?

Thanks!

Attachments

• resistor.JPG
    resistor.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct. The capacitor does not matter in the second part.

Thanks for the reply!

Related to Solving Homework Equations: The Attached Voltage Across Capacitor

1. What is the purpose of solving homework equations for the attached voltage across a capacitor?

Solving homework equations for the attached voltage across a capacitor helps us understand how capacitors function in electrical circuits and how to calculate the voltage across them.

2. What are the key components of the equation for calculating the attached voltage across a capacitor?

The key components of the equation are the capacitance of the capacitor, the current flowing through the capacitor, and the time for which the current flows.

3. How do you determine the polarity of the voltage across a capacitor?

The polarity of the voltage across a capacitor can be determined by the direction of the current flow through the capacitor. If the current flows from positive to negative, the voltage will be positive, and if the current flows from negative to positive, the voltage will be negative.

4. What is the formula for calculating the attached voltage across a capacitor in a DC circuit?

The formula is V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge stored on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

5. How does the attached voltage across a capacitor change in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, the attached voltage across a capacitor varies with the change in the input voltage. The voltage across a capacitor in an AC circuit can be calculated using the formula V = Vm*sin(ωt), where Vm is the maximum voltage and ω is the angular frequency.