Solving Hartree Fock Iteration for Closed Shell Atoms with GTO Basis

• Thread starter cheong
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using the Hartree Fock Roothaan method with GTO basis to compute the ground state energy for closed shell atoms. The code works for helium but fails for beryllium. The main issue is with the orthonormal condition and generating orbitals with the same coefficients. There is also a discussion about the number of eigenvalue equations needed and the potential problem with the code itself.
cheong
I am writing a program to compute the ground state energy for any closed shell atom using Hartree Fock Roothaan method, with GTO basis. The code works for the simplest case, the helium, but it fails with beryllium (z=4).

I understand that, in this case, I have two Roothaan equations for two orthonormal orbitals:

Fc⃗ i=Sc⃗ iϵi

As usual, I have initial guess for the coefficient matrix. Use it to generate the Fock matrix and find the coefficient for the first orbital by solving a generalized eigenvalue problem, choosing only the smallest energy.

F(0)c⃗ 1=Sc⃗ 1ϵ1

Than I use the coefficient of the new 1_st orbital (the 2_nd orbital is not changed yet) to generate a new Fock matrix to find the coefficient of the 2_nd orbital

F(1)c⃗ 2=Sc⃗ 2ϵ2

And use the new 2_nd orbital to find a new 1_st orbital again until energy converges.

My problem is that with that algorithm I always generate orbitals with the same coefficients. But different orbitals are supposedly orthonormal to each other.

If I impose orthonormal condition by gram-schmidting the coefficient vectors at each step, I have an oscillating result but the energy range obtained was not even closed to the right answer.

My subprogram solving the generalized eigenvalue problem automatically generate the corresponding eigenvector and it is normalized with respect to my basis.

I have posed this question in another forum but I was asked for more information. I am just hoping someone who has done it will realize what I have done wrong. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In SCF, you effectively do not have two different eigenvalue equations. You have just one, and take the two eigenfunctions from that which have the lowest energies. Note that a symmetric N x N matrix has not one, but N eigenvectors.

cgk said:
In SCF, you effectively do not have two different eigenvalue equations. You have just one, and take the two eigenfunctions from that which have the lowest energies. Note that a symmetric N x N matrix has not one, but N eigenvectors.

Thank you for the quick reply!
But it is not ture that each orbital itself has it own Fock operator? From my understanding, even in a SCF, the direct interaction terms and the exchange terms for each orbital is different, when I have more than 2 spin-orbital. And because the interaction terms are different, shouldn't I need two differen pseudo eigenvalue equations?

I have tried what you suggest too. I only got oscillating behavior. Perhaps my code is fundamentally wrong.

Related to Solving Hartree Fock Iteration for Closed Shell Atoms with GTO Basis

1. What is the Hartree Fock Iteration method?

The Hartree Fock Iteration method is a computational technique used in quantum chemistry to solve the electronic structure of a molecule or atom. It is based on the Hartree Fock theory, which describes the behavior of electrons in a system by solving the Schrödinger equation.

2. What does "Closed Shell Atoms" mean?

Closed shell atoms refer to atoms that have completely filled electron shells, meaning that all of their electrons are paired up in orbitals. This includes atoms with an even number of electrons, such as helium or neon.

3. What is a GTO basis?

GTO stands for Gaussian-type orbitals, which are mathematical functions used to approximate the shape of atomic orbitals. They are commonly used in quantum chemistry calculations because they can accurately represent the electron density of an atom.

4. How does the Hartree Fock Iteration method work?

The Hartree Fock Iteration method involves an iterative process where the electronic structure of the atom is repeatedly calculated until a self-consistent solution is reached. This involves making an initial guess for the electron density, using this to calculate the electron-electron repulsion energy, and then using this energy to update the electron density. This process continues until the electron density no longer changes significantly.

5. What are the limitations of the Hartree Fock Iteration method?

The Hartree Fock Iteration method is limited by its inability to accurately describe certain types of chemical bonding, such as dispersion forces and charge transfer. It also does not take into account the effects of electron correlation, which can be significant in systems with many electrons. As a result, more advanced methods, such as density functional theory, are often used to improve upon the results obtained from the Hartree Fock Iteration method.