Solving Gravity: Initial Velocity & Time

In summary, the person is asking about determining acceleration due to gravity using variables for initial velocity and time taken for an object launched from the ground vertically. They also mention that their post may not be in the proper format and apologize for any mistakes. They provide a link for formulas that could potentially help with their question.
Sammiches
I guess this isn't the proper format, but I would rather try and work out the complete problem on my own :\ If this is a huge faux pas then someone can go ahead and delete this post i suppose.

Now that that's out of the way, could someone tell me if it is possible to determine acceleration due to gravity knowing only the variables for initial velocity and time taken to once again reach to ground of an object launched from the ground vertically? And what would this equation be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sammiches said:
I guess this isn't the proper format, but I would rather try and work out the complete problem on my own :\ If this is a huge faux pas then someone can go ahead and delete this post i suppose.

Now that that's out of the way, could someone tell me if it is possible to determine acceleration due to gravity knowing only the variables for initial velocity and time taken to once again reach to ground of an object launched from the ground vertically? And what would this equation be?

Welcome to PF.

If you are browsing for formulas:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

I appreciate your desire to work through problems on your own. However, I would like to offer some guidance on this topic.

In order to solve for the acceleration due to gravity, we need to use the equation for free fall motion: d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time taken.

In this case, we are given the initial velocity (which we can assume is 0 since the object is launched from the ground) and the time taken to reach the ground again. We can rearrange the equation to solve for g: g = 2d/t^2.

Therefore, if we know the distance traveled and the time taken, we can determine the acceleration due to gravity.

However, it is important to note that this equation assumes that there is no air resistance and that the object is in a vacuum. In reality, there will always be some air resistance and other factors that may affect the object's motion. So while this equation can give us a rough estimate of the acceleration due to gravity, it may not be completely accurate.

I hope this helps and encourages you to continue exploring and solving scientific problems!

Related to Solving Gravity: Initial Velocity & Time

1. What is the formula for calculating initial velocity in relation to gravity and time?

The formula for calculating initial velocity is v = gt , where v is initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is time.

2. How does initial velocity affect the trajectory of an object in free fall?

The initial velocity of an object in free fall will determine the shape and distance of its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer trajectory and a greater distance traveled, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter trajectory and a shorter distance traveled.

3. Can initial velocity and time both be manipulated to achieve a desired trajectory?

Yes, by adjusting the initial velocity and time, it is possible to achieve a desired trajectory for an object in free fall. However, the acceleration due to gravity will remain constant, so it will also affect the trajectory of the object.

4. How is the initial velocity of an object calculated in real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, the initial velocity of an object can be calculated using various tools such as motion sensors, radar guns, and video analysis software. These tools can measure the speed and position of an object at different points in time, which can then be used to calculate the initial velocity.

5. Can initial velocity and time be used to solve for other variables in a free fall scenario?

Yes, initial velocity and time can be used to solve for other variables such as distance, acceleration, and final velocity in a free fall scenario. This can be done by rearranging the formula v = gt to solve for the desired variable.