Solving Geodesic Equations with Euler-Lagrange and Noether's Theorem

In summary: No, in summary, the problem states that the light ray is moving in the x direction, so initially ##\dot{x} \ne 0##.The problem states that the light ray is moving in the x direction, so initially ##\dot{x} \ne 0##.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

imactualydoingwork.png

Homework Equations

There are 5 equations we can use.
We have the fact that Lagrangian is a constant for an affinely parameterised geodesic- 0 in this case for a light ray : ##L=0##
And then the Euler-Lagrange equation for each of the 4 variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

The worked solution proceeds by letting ## \dot{y}=0## , where a dot denotes the derivative wrt the affine parameter ##s##.
It uses ##L=0## and then eliminates ##\dot{t}## and ##\dot{x}## via the constants of motion found from Noether's theorem/Euler Lagrange equations.

My question:

How do we know that we have the freedom to set one of the variables ## \dot{y}=0##. (I see by symmetry we could have equally chose ## \dot{x}=0##)..?

(I have worked through without setting ## \dot{y}=0## and then by the symmetry of x and y, using Noether's theorem/Euler - Lagrange we redefine another constant = C_1 + C_2 where C_1 and C_2 are the different constants associated with x/y respectively, however, from just looking at the question, before I start my working out, how do I know I have this freedom?) Thanks

Why do we not have the freedom to set both ## \dot{y}=0## and ## \dot{x}=0##?

(I see that we have 5 equations and 4 variables, does this have something to do with why have freedom to set one of ##\dot{x}## / ##\dot{y}## equal to zero?)

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• imactualydoingwork.png
    imactualydoingwork.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 746
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem states that the light ray is moving in the x direction, so initially ##\dot{x} \ne 0##.

PeroK said:
The problem states that the light ray is moving in the x direction, so initially ##\dot{x} \ne 0##.

Sorry replying on my phone so let x' represent the derivative as a pose to a dot..

At t=0 do we not have ##y' , z' = 0 ## and ## x' \neq 0 ## and so therefore for the constant of motion associated with ##y## it is ##0## at t=0 and so must be 0 for all of t ?

binbagsss said:
Sorry replying on my phone so let x' represent the derivative as a pose to a dot..

At t=0 do we not have ##y' , z' = 0 ## and ## x' \neq 0 ## and so therefore for the constant of motion associated with ##y## it is ##0## at t=0 and so must be 0 for all of t ?

Since only ##dy^2## appears in the metric, what would cause a change in the +y direction rather than the -y direction, or vice versa?

PeroK said:
Since only ##dy^2## appears in the metric, what would cause a change in the +y direction rather than the -y direction, or vice versa?
i'm not sure? so post 3 is wrong?
the metric components would have to have y dependence?

binbagsss said:
i'm not sure? so post 3 is wrong?
the metric components would have to have y dependence?

What happens if you apply Euler-Lagrange? You should get something that looks like ##f(z)\dot{y} = C##. If ##\dot{y} = 0## initially, then clearly the solution is that it remains ##0##.

So, this should fall out of the equations easily enough. But, you could also ask what it is physically about this metric that would cause motion in the y-direction if there is none initially? You could flip your y-coordinates and get the same metric. Then, if the solution to the equations is motion in the +y direction, then that implies two different physical solutions depending on which direction is +y.

Whereas, you can't flip your x-coordinate without changing the initial ##\dot{x}## as well.

In other words, overall the problem is symmetrical in ##y## but not in ##x## due to the non-zero initial velocity; and not in ##z## because it's in the metric.

PeroK said:
What happens if you apply Euler-Lagrange? You should get something that looks like ##f(z)\dot{y} = C##. If ##\dot{y} = 0## initially, then clearly the solution is that it remains ##0##.

is this not what i said?

Related to Solving Geodesic Equations with Euler-Lagrange and Noether's Theorem

1. What are geodesic equations?

Geodesic equations are a set of differential equations that describe the shortest or "straightest" paths between two points on a curved surface. They are commonly used in physics and mathematics to study the behavior of particles and objects in curved spaces.

2. How does Euler-Lagrange contribute to solving geodesic equations?

Euler-Lagrange is a mathematical framework used to find the extreme values of a functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function and its derivatives. In the context of geodesic equations, Euler-Lagrange helps us find the path that minimizes the functional, or in other words, the shortest path between two points on a curved surface.

3. What is the significance of using Noether's theorem in solving geodesic equations?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that connects symmetries in a system to conserved quantities. In the case of geodesic equations, Noether's theorem allows us to identify symmetries in the curved space and use them to find conserved quantities, which can simplify the calculation of geodesic equations.

4. Can geodesic equations be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, geodesic equations have many practical applications, particularly in the fields of astrophysics, general relativity, and navigation systems. For example, geodesic equations are used in GPS technology to determine the shortest path between two points on the Earth's curved surface.

5. Are there any limitations to using Euler-Lagrange and Noether's theorem to solve geodesic equations?

While Euler-Lagrange and Noether's theorem are powerful mathematical tools for solving geodesic equations, they may not always be applicable to certain types of curved surfaces or systems. Additionally, the calculations can become complex and time-consuming for more complicated problems, requiring advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations.