Solving Gaussian Random Variable Expected Value: CDF & Expectation

In summary, the expected value of exp(G^2\lambda/2) can be calculated using the general formula E(h(G))=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(x)f(x)dx. In this case, h(G)=exp(G^2 \lambda /2) and f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}. It is important to note that \lambda < 1 is necessary for this formula to be valid.
Jaggis
Hi,

I have trouble with the following problem:

Gaussian random variable is defined as follows

[tex]\phi(t) = P(G \leq t)= 1/\sqrt{2\pi} \int^{t}_{-\infty} exp(-x^2/2)dx.[/tex]
Calculate the expected value

[tex]E(exp(G^2\lambda/2)).[/tex]

Hint:

Because [itex]\phi[/itex] is a cumulative distribution function, [itex]\phi(+\infty) = 1[/itex].

My attempt at solution:

I start with:

[tex] E(exp(G^2\lambda/2)) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}P(exp(G^2\lambda/2) \geq t)dt = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}P(-\sqrt{2/\lambda*lnt}) \geq G \geq \sqrt{2/\lambda*lnt})dt[/tex]
[tex]=1/\sqrt{2\pi} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}(\int^{\sqrt{2/\lambda*lnt})}_{\sqrt{2/\lambda*lnt})}e^{-x^2/2}dx)dt.[/tex]

Then my instinct would be to use Fubini theorem because I'd like to get rid of the integral of exp(-x^2/2) by [itex]\phi(+\infty) = 1[/itex].

However, because both bounds are functions of t, it wouldn't work.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
General formula: Let h(G) be a function of G. Let f(x) be the probability density function for G. Then:
[itex]E(h(G))=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}h(x)f(x)dx[/itex].
In your case [itex]h(G)=exp(G^2 \lambda /2)[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}[/itex].

As you can see [itex]\lambda < 1[/itex] is necessary.

Jaggis, I suggest you double-check your first equals sign.

Related to Solving Gaussian Random Variable Expected Value: CDF & Expectation

1. What is a Gaussian random variable?

A Gaussian random variable, also known as a normal random variable, is a type of continuous probability distribution that is commonly used to model real-world phenomena. It is characterized by its bell-shaped curve, with most values clustering around its mean value.

2. What is the expected value of a Gaussian random variable?

The expected value of a Gaussian random variable is equal to its mean, which is denoted by the Greek letter mu (μ). This represents the center of the bell-shaped curve and is the most likely value to occur.

3. How do you calculate the cumulative distribution function (CDF) of a Gaussian random variable?

The CDF of a Gaussian random variable can be calculated using the formula: CDF(x) = (1/2) * [1 + erf((x-μ)/σ√2)], where x is the value of interest, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation.

4. What is the significance of the CDF in solving for the expected value of a Gaussian random variable?

The CDF represents the probability that a Gaussian random variable will take on a value less than or equal to a given value. This is important in solving for the expected value as it allows us to calculate the area under the curve and determine the likelihood of a certain value occurring.

5. How can the expected value of a Gaussian random variable be used in scientific research?

The expected value of a Gaussian random variable is often used in scientific research to make predictions and draw conclusions about real-world phenomena. It can help researchers understand the likelihood of certain outcomes and make informed decisions based on this information.