Solving for velocity in relativistic momentum

In summary, the relativistic momentum of an electron is 1.6 times larger than the value computed non-relativistically. The equation for relativistic momentum is p=mv/√1-v^2/c^2. The equation to solve for velocity in this equation is v^2=c^2(1-((m^2v^2)/P^2)). The value of P must be determined in order to solve for velocity.
JWood521

Homework Statement

the relativistic momentum of an electron is 1.6 times larger than the value computed non-relativistically. What is the speed of the electron.

Homework Equations

Relativistic momentum
p=mv/√1-v2/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

Moving most of the equation around is fairly easy, but I'm getting stuck with v2 on both sides of the equation, so they appear to cancel out. The equation I've come up with to solve for velocity in relativistic momentum is:

v2=c2(1-((m2v2)/P2)

How to I move the v2 over to the left side without canceling out the velocities?

The algebra behind manipulating the relativity equations (due to the gamma adjustment) has been the one thing I've struggled with in the relativity topic. An explanation of the math concept behind solving for velocity in this equation would be EXTREMELY helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
JWood521 said:

Homework Statement

the relativistic momentum of an electron is 1.6 times larger than the value computed non-relativistically. What is the speed of the electron.

Homework Equations

Relativistic momentum
p=mv/√1-v2/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

Moving most of the equation around is fairly easy, but I'm getting stuck with v2 on both sides of the equation, so they appear to cancel out. The equation I've come up with to solve for velocity in relativistic momentum is:

v2=c2(1-((m2v2)/P2)

How to I move the v2 over to the left side without canceling out the velocities?

The algebra behind manipulating the relativity equations (due to the gamma adjustment) has been the one thing I've struggled with in the relativity topic. An explanation of the math concept behind solving for velocity in this equation would be EXTREMELY helpful!

Write down the actual equation you have to solve in order to finish the problem. Don't worry yet about how to solve the equation; just write it down to start with.

What is P in that equation?

It would help if you would show your steps.

Related to Solving for velocity in relativistic momentum

1. How is velocity calculated in relativistic momentum?

In relativistic momentum, velocity is calculated using the formula v = p/m, where v is the velocity, p is the relativistic momentum, and m is the rest mass of the object.

2. What is the difference between relativistic and classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, whereas classical momentum only considers the object's mass and velocity.

3. Can an object have a velocity greater than the speed of light in relativistic momentum?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum velocity that any object can achieve.

4. How does the rest mass of an object affect its velocity in relativistic momentum?

The rest mass of an object is a constant value that influences the object's velocity in relativistic momentum. As the mass increases, the velocity decreases and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving for velocity in relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is often used in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics to calculate the velocities of objects moving at extremely high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or particles traveling near the speed of light in space.