Solving for the X and Y components of a Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the x- and y-components of a vector that is 40.0 m long and makes an angle of 50.0° counterclockwise from the y-axis. The person initially tries to solve for the components using trigonometric equations but realizes their answers are incorrect. Another person then explains that the x-component is not -40cos(50) but rather 40sin(50) and provides a visual explanation using a right triangle. The person remains confused and asks for clarification on how to find the y-component.
slu1986
1. A vector is 40.0 m long and makes an angle of 50.0° counterclockwise from the y-axis (on the side of the -x-axis). What are the x- and y-components of this vector?

2. Homework Equations
Sin = opp/hyp
Cos = adj/hyp

3. I tried solving for the x and y components of the vector by taking the -cos(50.0) 40.0m and came up with this= x-component: -25.7 and for the y component I took the sin (50.0) 40.0 m and came up with this = y-component: 30.6 m. However, these answers aren't correct and I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Could someone please explain exactly what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine the Cartesian grid, with its x- and y-axis stretching to infinity. Imagine an arrow going off at 50 degrees to the y-axis. Then, imagine a line going from the end of the arrow to the y-axis. Do you see why the x-component isn't -40cos(50)?

I drew out the vector in the second quadrant which means the x component would be negative and the y component would be positive right? I'm sorry, but I do not understand what I'm doing wrong.

Note the right triangle in your drawing, formed by the vector, the y-axis, and the line from the end of the vector to the y-axis. The horizontal part--the leg from the y-axis to the vector--is the "opposite" side from the 50-degree angle, so its length would be 40sin(50). It also represents the distance from the x=0.

I am still confused, I did what you're saying for the y-component. So the 40 sin(50) would be the x component? I thought only cosine could be used to find the x component and sin for the y component.

Related to Solving for the X and Y components of a Vector

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical concept that represents both magnitude (size) and direction. In scientific terms, it is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction and can be represented graphically by an arrow.

What are the X and Y components of a vector?

The X and Y components of a vector are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, respectively. They represent the magnitude of the vector in the X and Y directions, and can be used to calculate the total magnitude and direction of the vector.

How do you solve for the X and Y components of a vector?

To solve for the X and Y components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The X component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the X-axis. The Y component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle.

Why is it important to solve for the X and Y components of a vector?

Solving for the X and Y components of a vector is important because it allows us to break down complex vectors into simpler parts. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the vector's direction and magnitude, and how it relates to other vectors in a given system.

Can you solve for the X and Y components of a vector in three dimensions?

Yes, you can solve for the X and Y components of a vector in three dimensions. In addition to the X and Y components, there is also a Z component that represents the vector's magnitude and direction in the third dimension. The same trigonometric functions can be used to solve for the X, Y, and Z components of a vector in three dimensions.