Solving for the Vertical Distance of a 101 mph Pitch

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the calculation of how far a baseball would fall vertically if thrown horizontally at a velocity of 101.0 mi/h. The formula used in the attempt at a solution is incorrect, and the correct answer is not stated.
toothpick09

Homework Statement

One of the fastest recorded pitches in major-league baseball, thrown by Billy Wagner in 2003, was clocked at 101.0 mi/h (Fig. P3.22). If a pitch were thrown horizontally with this velocity, how far would the ball fall vertically (in feet) by the time it reached home plate, 60.5 ft away?

Homework Equations

t impact = 2 * (vo/g) sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

2 * (9.21404m (60.5ft)/9.8m/s2) sin(90) = 1.88042 m

1.88042 m * 3.281 ft = 6.16965 ft

what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, it looks like you are mixing ft and meters. What is the 9.21404 m supposed to be?

Your formula is for "t impact", but you stated the answer in meters?? I think you have confused things. I don't think your formula is correct, either. Can you show how you got it?

I would approach this problem by first converting all the given units to a consistent system. In this case, since the velocity is given in miles per hour and the distance in feet, I would convert the velocity to feet per second by multiplying it by 1.47 (1 mile = 5280 feet, 1 hour = 3600 seconds). This gives us a velocity of 148.47 ft/s.

Next, I would use the equation for distance traveled under constant acceleration, d = v0t + 1/2at^2, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 or 32.2 ft/s^2), and t is the time. In this case, we are solving for the vertical distance, so we can set the initial velocity to 0 since the ball is thrown horizontally.

Plugging in our values, we get:

60.5 ft = 0 + 1/2(-32.2 ft/s^2)t^2

Solving for t, we get t = 1.53 seconds.

Now, we can use the equation for time of impact, t_impact = 2 * (v0/g) * sin(theta), where v0 is the initial velocity and theta is the angle of launch (90 degrees in this case). Plugging in our values, we get:

t_impact = 2 * (148.47 ft/s / 32.2 ft/s^2) * sin(90) = 9.22 seconds.

Finally, we can use the equation for distance traveled under constant acceleration again, this time solving for the vertical distance:

d = 0 + 1/2(-32.2 ft/s^2)*(9.22 s)^2 = 149.5 ft

Therefore, the ball would fall approximately 149.5 feet vertically by the time it reaches home plate, assuming it is thrown horizontally at a speed of 101 mph.

Related to Solving for the Vertical Distance of a 101 mph Pitch

What is the equation for solving for the vertical distance of a 101 mph pitch?

The equation is: d = v₀t + 1/2at², where d is the vertical distance, v₀ is the initial velocity (101 mph), t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

How do you calculate the time of a 101 mph pitch?

To calculate the time, you can rearrange the equation to t = (d - 1/2at²) / v₀. Plug in the known values for d and v₀, and solve for t.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that any object in free fall will accelerate towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 m/s².

Can you use this equation for any pitch speed?

Yes, this equation can be used for any pitch speed. You would just need to plug in the appropriate initial velocity (v₀) in miles per hour and convert it to meters per second.

How does air resistance affect the vertical distance of a 101 mph pitch?

Air resistance can affect the vertical distance of a 101 mph pitch by slowing down the pitch and reducing the initial velocity (v₀). This would result in a shorter vertical distance traveled compared to the calculated value using the equation.