Solving for the Height of a Rectangular Hyperbola

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of an arch in the shape of a rectangular hyperbola with a maximum height of 100m and a width of 300m. The individuals discuss determining the coordinates of the vertices and points on the hyperbola and how to solve for the variables h and a. They ultimately agree that a set of coordinates with the arch endpoints symmetric about the origin, such as (0,100), (-150,0), and (150,0), would be best for solving the equations.
zaddyzad

Homework Statement

An arch is the shape of a hyperbola. IF it s 300m wide at its base and has a maximum height of 100m, how high is the arch 30m from the end ?

Note: this is a rectangular hyperbola.

Homework Equations

(y-h)^2 - x^2 = a

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the verticies is (0,0) and there are two points (-150,-100), (150,100) I also know that there must be a vertical translation for the centre to be higher than (0,0).

But what I can figure out is how to solve for h and a using two different coordinates. If someone could help me with the algebra that'd be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
zaddyzad said:
I determined the verticies is (0,0) and there are two points (-150,-100), (150,100) I also know that there must be a vertical translation for the centre to be higher than (0,0).
How do you get (-150,-100)? That would be underground, no? What about y when x = 300?

I'm trying to set it as easily as I can without a horizontal shift. However maybe a vertice of (0,100) and points (-150,0) and (150,0) would be better.

zaddyzad said:
I'm trying to set it as easily as I can without a horizontal shift. However maybe a vertice of (0,100) and points (-150,0) and (150,0) would be better.
Either way is fine, but I think you had the coordinates wrong in your first way. It looked like you had the origin on the ground at one end of the arch, right? So the y coord should never have been negative.
The set you propose now, with the arch endpoints symmetric about the origin, looks right. So, what equations do you get?

Related to Solving for the Height of a Rectangular Hyperbola

1. What is a rectangular hyperbola?

A rectangular hyperbola is a type of hyperbola that has its center at the origin and has equal distances from the center to the vertices.

2. How do you find the height of a rectangular hyperbola?

To find the height of a rectangular hyperbola, you can use the formula h = b/a, where h is the height, b is the y-intercept, and a is the distance from the center to the vertex on the y-axis.

3. Can the height of a rectangular hyperbola be negative?

Yes, the height of a rectangular hyperbola can be negative if the y-intercept is negative or if the vertex on the y-axis is below the origin.

4. What information is needed to solve for the height of a rectangular hyperbola?

To solve for the height of a rectangular hyperbola, you need to know the coordinates of either the y-intercept or the vertex on the y-axis, as well as the distance from the center to that point.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the height of a rectangular hyperbola?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the height of a rectangular hyperbola, such as using the focus and directrix or using the equation of the hyperbola. However, the simplest and most straightforward method is using the formula h = b/a.