Solving for Orthogonal Vectors in R4?

In summary, orthogonal vectors in R4 are four-dimensional vectors that are perpendicular to each other, with a dot product of zero. This property allows them to be used in various applications of linear algebra, such as solving systems of equations and finding least squares solutions. There can be an infinite number of orthogonal vectors in R4, as long as they meet the criteria of being at a 90-degree angle and having a dot product of zero.
concon

Homework Statement

Given following vectors in R4:
v= (4,-9,-6,3)
u = (5,-8,k,4)
w=(s,-5,4,t)

A. Find value of k if u and v are orthogonal
B. Find values of S and T if w and u are orthogonal and w and v are orthogonal

Homework Equations

Orthogonal means dot product is zero

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I already solved and got k= 104/6 which is correct

B.
I tried to solve this one assuming that k was still equal to 104/6 and got
s=4 and t=-37/3
But this is not the answer.
Do I assume that k is still the same result as in part A or can k be anything?
If k is anything than I get:

[
4 3 -21
5 4 (-40-4k)
]
as a matrix, but how would I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should continue to use ##k=104/6## in part B. Can you show how you calculated ##s## and ##t##? You can easily check that with those values, ##w## is orthogonal to ##v## but not to ##u##.

jbunniii said:
I think you should continue to use ##k=104/6## in part B. Can you show how you calculated ##s## and ##t##? You can easily check that with those values, ##w## is orthogonal to ##v## but not to ##u##.
Okay that's what I thought b/c if k is unknown you have 3 variables which wouldn't be solveable.

So if k= 104/6
v*w = 4s + 45 - 24 + 3t = 0
u*w = 5s + 40 + 416/6 + 4t = 0

From there I combined like terms:

4s + 3t = -21
5s + 4t = -656/6

Then I formed a matrix and use row operations to find that:

s = 244
t = -997/3

Is this right? I think my mistake the first time using this method was when I got the 40 and 416/6 on the right hand side I added 40 instead of subtracting which changed the value.

Yes, that looks right. You can always substitute your answers back into your expressions for v*w and u*w to verify that you get zero in both cases.

Related to Solving for Orthogonal Vectors in R4?

1. What are orthogonal vectors in R4?

Orthogonal vectors in R4 are a set of four-dimensional vectors that are perpendicular to each other. This means that the dot product of any two vectors is equal to zero, indicating that they are at a 90-degree angle from each other.

2. How can you determine if two vectors in R4 are orthogonal?

To determine if two vectors in R4 are orthogonal, you can use the dot product formula: A · B = a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3 + a4b4. If the result is equal to zero, then the vectors are orthogonal. You can also visualize the vectors to see if they are at a 90-degree angle from each other.

3. Can orthogonal vectors in R4 be linearly dependent?

No, orthogonal vectors in R4 cannot be linearly dependent. This is because linearly dependent vectors are parallel and have a dot product that is not equal to zero. Since orthogonal vectors must have a dot product of zero, they cannot be linearly dependent.

4. How are orthogonal vectors used in applications of linear algebra?

Orthogonal vectors in R4 are used in many applications of linear algebra, such as in computer graphics, signal processing, and machine learning. They are particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations and finding the least squares solutions to overdetermined systems.

5. Can there be more than two orthogonal vectors in R4?

Yes, there can be more than two orthogonal vectors in R4. In fact, there can be an infinite number of orthogonal vectors in R4. This is because as long as the vectors are at a 90-degree angle from each other and have a dot product of zero, they can be considered orthogonal.