Solving for normal frequencies with a gravity term

In summary, the author is having difficulty solving for the normal frequencies for a set of equations of motion and suggests setting new primed variables. He is unsure how the defined the primed variables and is looking for help.
saybrook1

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I have been making progress in classical mechanics but I'm having a tough time figuring out how to solve for the normal frequencies for this set of equations of motion:
http://imgur.com/nQKPNsu

In order to account for the mass gravity term here the book suggests setting new primed variables to create new simpler equations of motion like so
http://imgur.com/vQBGInD

I'm comfortable with everything here except that I really don't know how or why the defined those primed variables the way they did. I don't know how they fit into the new equations of motion or resemble the old unprimed ones. Any help here would be aweomse. Thank you.

Homework Equations

http://imgur.com/nQKPNsu
http://imgur.com/vQBGInD

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding the old equations of motion together to try and figure out if they found a relationship between the y variables and then exploited it when defining the primed ones but I had no luck there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve the given transformations for y1 and y2 (trivial as it is just a sum), and plug those into the original equations, then you'll see how it works.

Unrelated: Defining y''A = y'1 + y'2 and y''B = y'1 - y'2 would decouple the equations.

mfb said:
You can solve the given transformations for y1 and y2 (trivial as it is just a sum), and plug those into the original equations, then you'll see how it works.

Unrelated: Defining y''A = y'1 + y'2 and y''B = y'1 - y'2 would decouple the equations.
Awesome, thanks; I found expressions for the unprimed y's in terms of the primed ones and plugged them back into get out the expressions they have in terms of the primed variables except with a '+mg' still tagged on.. Also, I'm still unsure about how you would go about figuring out the expressions for the primed variables in the first place?

All they're doing is solving for the values the y's would have if the mass-spring system were at equilibrium (zero y'' terms). They then represent the actual y's by these equilibrium values plus the deviations from the equilibrium values. They then solve for the deviations. This gets rid of the gravitational terms in the differential equations.

Chet

saybrook1 said:
Awesome, thanks; I found expressions for the unprimed y's in terms of the primed ones and plugged them back into get out the expressions they have in terms of the primed variables except with a '+mg' still tagged on.. Also, I'm still unsure about how you would go about figuring out the expressions for the primed variables in the first place?
The +Mg have to disappear, that is the whole point of the substitution.
How to find them: Usually by guessing in a clever way, with some experience. Looking for equilibrium positions is always a good start.

mfb said:
The +Mg have to disappear, that is the whole point of the substitution.
How to find them: Usually by guessing in a clever way, with some experience. Looking for equilibrium positions is always a good start.
Okay, so maybe take [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex] of the expression and set this to zero to find y'?

Where do you want to find y (and what does that mean) how?

mfb said:
Where do you want to find y (and what does that mean) how?
I guess to find the equilibrium position we would take the derivative of the potential with respect to y and set that to zero. However, this doesn't leave any y terms..

If you want to find the equilibrium position, just set the accelerations to zero, and solve for the corresponding y's.

Related to Solving for normal frequencies with a gravity term

What is the purpose of solving for normal frequencies with a gravity term?

The gravity term in this calculation takes into account the effects of gravity on the system, allowing for a more accurate determination of the normal frequencies of the system.

How is the gravity term incorporated into the calculation of normal frequencies?

The gravity term is typically added to the equation for the natural frequency of a system as an additional parameter, usually represented by the letter "g".

What is the relationship between gravity and normal frequencies?

The gravity term in this calculation represents the influence of gravity on the oscillation of a system. As gravity increases, the normal frequencies of the system may shift accordingly.

Can the gravity term be neglected in the calculation of normal frequencies?

In some cases, the effects of gravity on a system may be negligible and the gravity term can be omitted from the calculation. However, in most cases it is important to include this term for a more accurate determination of the normal frequencies.

Are there any other factors that should be considered when solving for normal frequencies with a gravity term?

Yes, there may be other external factors such as air resistance or other forms of damping that should also be taken into account in order to obtain a more accurate result.