Solving for Minimum Angle for Home Run

In summary: You will find two roots, take the negative one, since the ball is being hit upwards at an angle. This will give you the minimum angle at which the ball must leave the bat for it to be a home run.In summary, to find the minimum angle at which the ball must leave the bat in order to be a home run, we can use the parametric equations x=v0cos(theta)t and y=3+(v0sin(theta)t-15t^2. By substituting 400 in for x and 147.67 for v0, we can solve for t as t=400/(146.67cos(theta). Then, by plugging t into the equation for y, we get y=3+(
jazz20

Homework Statement

the center field fence in a ball park is 10ft high and 400 feet from home plate. the ball is hit 3 ft above ground. it leaves the bat at an angle of theta degrees with the horizontal speed of 147.67ft/second. find the minimum angle at which the ball must leave the bat in order for hit to be a home run.
the path of the projectile is modeled by the parametric equations:
x=v0cos(theta)t
y=3+(v0sin(theta)t-15t^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

substitute 400 in for x and 147.67 for v0to solve for t
t=400/(146.67cos(theta)
then i took t and put it into the equation for y
y=3+(147.67sin(theta)(400/(146.67cos(theta))-16(400/(146.67cos(theta))^2

Did I do this correctly? If so, can some one help me with the math to solve for theta?

Physics news on Phys.org
jazz20 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

substitute 400 in for x and 147.67 for v0to solve for t
t=400/(146.67cos(theta)
then i took t and put it into the equation for y
y=3+(147.67sin(theta)(400/(146.67cos(theta))-16(400/(146.67cos(theta))^2

You can rewrite the equation as
y = 3 + 400*tanθ - 16*400^2*sec^2θ/146.67^2 [ 1/cosθ = secθ]
Put sec^2θ = 1 + tan^2θ,and solve the quadratic for tanθ.

I cannot provide an exact answer to your question without knowing the specific values for t and y. However, I can provide some guidance on how to approach solving for theta.

First, I would recommend using the equation for y to solve for t in terms of theta. This will give you a single equation with only one variable, theta. Then, you can use this equation to find the value of theta that satisfies the condition of the ball clearing the 10ft fence at 400ft away from home plate.

To solve for theta, you can use a numerical or graphical method. For a numerical method, you can use trial and error, plugging in different values for theta until you find the one that satisfies the condition. For a graphical method, you can plot the equation for y as a function of theta and visually determine the minimum angle for the ball to clear the fence.

In general, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and ensure that all units are consistent. Good luck!

Related to Solving for Minimum Angle for Home Run

1. What is the minimum angle needed to hit a home run?

The minimum angle needed to hit a home run depends on several factors, such as the ball's initial velocity, air resistance, and the distance to the fence. However, in general, a ball must be hit at an angle of at least 35-45 degrees to have a chance of clearing the fence.

2. How do you calculate the minimum angle for a home run?

To calculate the minimum angle for a home run, you will need to use the equation for projectile motion, which takes into account the initial velocity, angle, and acceleration due to gravity. By solving for the angle, you can determine the minimum angle needed for a home run based on the given parameters.

3. Can a home run be hit at a lower angle than the minimum?

Technically, it is possible to hit a home run at an angle lower than the minimum, but it would require a significant increase in initial velocity or a decrease in air resistance. In most cases, hitting a home run at a lower angle is not a realistic possibility.

4. How does air resistance affect the minimum angle for a home run?

Air resistance plays a crucial role in determining the minimum angle for a home run. The higher the air resistance, the steeper the angle needed to hit a home run. This is because air resistance slows down the ball's velocity and reduces its horizontal displacement, making it harder for the ball to clear the fence.

5. Are there other factors that can affect the minimum angle for a home run?

Yes, other factors such as wind speed and direction, temperature, and humidity can also impact the minimum angle for a home run. Wind speed and direction can either help or hinder the ball's flight, while temperature and humidity can affect the air density, which can influence air resistance and the ball's trajectory.