Solving for invariant points on trig transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding invariant points between a base trigonometric function and a horizontally stretched function. The only invariant point for a horizontal stretch is when x = 0, as all other points on the graph are affected by the transformation.
zeion

Homework Statement

Hello.
I came across a question that required me to solve for invariant points between a base trig function and the function after horizontal stretch. I can't remember the exact question right now, but I'm just wondering how I would go about solving it if I didn't know any trig identities or if the transformation couldn't be easily simplified with identities.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is a bit on the vague side, so I'll do the best I can with the available information. Suppose the function is y = sin(x), and the new function is y = sin(x/3), which represents a stretch away from the vertical axis by a factor of 3.

For the transformed function the only point that stays the same is the one whose distance is 0 from the vertical axis; namely, (0, 0).

What about points where the two graphs intersect?

How are you defining "invariant points"? I am interpreting this to mean points that do not change. If you are really asking about the points of intersection of the two graphs, that's what you should be asking about, I think.

But wouldn't the points where the 2 graphs intersect also be points that "don't change"?

I don't think so, not with a horizontal stretch. On the other hand, if you consider vertical stretches, the invariant points, as I would define them, would be all the points that don't get moved. For example, if y = sin(x), the graph of y = 2sin(x) is stretched away from the horizontal axis by a factor of 2. All of the zeroes of sin(x) (e.g., x = 0, π, 2π, -π, -2π, etc.) are also zeroes of 2sin(x), so the zeroes of y = sin(x) are invariant points under this transformation.

Yes the vertical case is clear to me.

Since the y point for the zeroes are zero, anything applied them would not change them.

I was just confused about the horizontal stretch/compression.
So does this mean the only invariant point for a horizontal stretch/compression is when x = 0?

Yes. Every other point on the graph of the untransformed graph moves either closer to or farther away from the vertical axis.

Related to Solving for invariant points on trig transformations

1. What is the purpose of solving for invariant points on trig transformations?

Solving for invariant points on trig transformations helps us find points on a graph that do not change when the function is transformed. These points can serve as anchors or reference points for understanding the transformation of the graph.

2. How do you solve for invariant points on trig transformations?

To solve for invariant points on trig transformations, we set the original function equal to the transformed function and solve for the values of x that satisfy this equation. These values of x will be the invariant points.

3. What is the significance of invariant points on trig transformations?

Invariant points on trig transformations are important because they provide a way to understand and visualize how the graph has been transformed. They can also help in identifying key features of the graph such as the amplitude, period, and phase shift.

4. What are some common trig transformations that have invariant points?

Some common trig transformations that have invariant points include translations (horizontal and vertical shifts), reflections, and dilations. Each of these transformations may have one or more invariant points depending on the specific function and transformation.

5. Can invariant points be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, invariant points can be negative or complex numbers. Since they are points on a graph, they can have any value on the x-axis, including negative values. In certain cases, such as with complex trig functions, invariant points may also have complex numbers as their values.