Solving for indefinite integral

In summary, the conversation involves someone asking for help with calculus problems and someone else providing tips and guidance on how to solve them. The first problem involves using the integral rule for t^n and simplifying the expression, while the second problem involves multiplying out the expression and using parentheses for clarity. The person asking for help is unsure if their attempts at solving the problems are correct.
4littlepigs

Homework Statement

My daughter at college asked me to help her with these but it's been years since I've done them. I said I would try and then look over what she comes up with so any help would be great not so I can give her the answers but so I can tell her whether or not she on the right track and help her try to find it!

Problem 1
∫(t^3/2 + 2t^1/2 -4t^-1/2)dt=
∫t^3/2(dt) + 2∫t^1/2(dt) -4∫t^-1/2(dt)=
2/3t^5/2 +(2)(2)t^3/2 -(4)(2)t^1/2 +c=
2/3t^5/2+4t^3/2-8t^1/2+c

Am I anywhere near right with this one?

And the second one is:
∫sqrt(t)(t^2+t-1)dt
but I have no idea where to go with it...

Thanks to any and all that help and for any help you can give.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have so far are above!

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of t^n is t^(n+1)/(n+1). Apply that to t^(3/2) e.g. You get t^(5/2)/(5/2)=(2/5)*t^(5/2). Try and check your expression again. For the second one just multiply it out. E.g. sqrt(t)*t^2=t^(1/2)*t^(2)=t^(2+1/2)=t^(5/2). Now you've got the same kind of fractional powers as in the first part. You can also make your expression clearer with more parentheses. 2/3t^5/2 can be interpreted lots of different ways. Like ((2/(3t))^(5))/2.

Related to Solving for indefinite integral

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is the reverse process of differentiation, where a mathematical function is given and the goal is to find a general function that when differentiated, yields the original function.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will result in a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will result in a general function.

How do you solve for an indefinite integral?

To solve for an indefinite integral, you must use the reverse rules of differentiation. This includes using the power rule, product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule, as well as integrating basic functions like trigonometric functions and exponential functions.

What is the constant of integration?

The constant of integration is a constant term that is added to the end of the indefinite integral. This constant is necessary because when a function is differentiated, the constant term will disappear, so it must be added back in when integrating.

What are some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals?

Some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques are used to simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate using the reverse rules of differentiation.