Solving for I1/I2 using substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the goal is to find the ratio of two integrals, $$I_1$$ and $$I_2$$. The answer is given as $$1/2$$, but the person is struggling to find a solution and is not sure if there is something wrong with the question or if they are missing something. They have tried various substitutions but have not made much progress. One suggestion is to use the linearity of definite integrals. Another suggestion is to try the substitution ##\arctan(x)=y## in $$I_1$$.
cr7einstein

Homework Statement

Hi all,

This problem has been troubling me for a while now; even though I have tried my best ( and filled up a rough notebook in the process). Consider $$I_1=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{tan^{-1}x}{x} dx$$$, and $$I_2=\int_{0}^{\pi/2} \frac{x}{sinx}dx$$. We are supposed to find $$\frac{I_1}{I_2}$$. The answer is $$1/2$$.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My try- To make the limits for both identical, I substituted $$x=sin\theta$$ in the first integral, and then tried to make use of the properties of definite integrals ( replacing $$f(\theta)$$ by $$f(\pi/2-\theta)$$ etc), but no real progress was made. I then tried $$x=arcsint$$ for the second one, but no result.

Now I really doubt if there is something wrong with the question itself, or am I just being really silly. Please help me here. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not look to closely at this exercise, so I might be misleading you here.

But, I saw, that when you substitute ##x = \arcsin t## in ##I_2##, you get:

$$I_2 = \int\limits_0^1 \frac{arcsin t}{t\sqrt{1-t^2}}dt$$ and this integral has the same bounds as ##I_1##, so maybe you can use the linearity of the definite integral or something like that?

cr7einstein said:

Homework Statement

Hi all,

This problem has been troubling me for a while now; even though I have tried my best ( and filled up a rough notebook in the process). Consider $$I_1=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{tan^{-1}x}{x} dx$$$, and $$I_2=\int_{0}^{\pi/2} \frac{x}{sinx}dx$$. We are supposed to find $$\frac{I_1}{I_2}$$. The answer is $$1/2$$.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My try- To make the limits for both identical, I substituted $$x=sin\theta$$ in the first integral, and then tried to make use of the properties of definite integrals ( replacing $$f(\theta)$$ by $$f(\pi/2-\theta)$$ etc), but no real progress was made. I then tried $$x=arcsint$$ for the second one, but no result.

Now I really doubt if there is something wrong with the question itself, or am I just being really silly. Please help me here. Thanks in advance!

Try the substitution ##\arctan(x)=y## in ##I_1##.

Related to Solving for I1/I2 using substitution

What is a definite integral problem?

A definite integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve between two specific points on the graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫, and the two points are known as the limits of integration.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral solves for a specific area, while an indefinite integral results in a function that represents all possible areas under the curve.

What is the process for solving a definite integral problem?

To solve a definite integral problem, you first need to identify the function and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, or integration by parts to find the solution.

What are some real-life applications of definite integrals?

Definite integrals have many practical applications, such as determining the area under a curve in physics to calculate work done, finding the volume of irregular objects in engineering, and calculating probability distributions in statistics.

What are some common mistakes when solving definite integral problems?

Some common mistakes when solving definite integral problems include not correctly identifying the function or limits of integration, using incorrect integration techniques, and making calculation errors. It is essential to double-check your work and use proper notation to avoid these mistakes.