Solving for Diameter and Mass of a New Kuiper Object with a Satellite

• Thread starter astronomystudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining the true diameter, mass, and density of a new Kuiper object. The solution involves using the equation V=4/3(pi)r^3 to calculate density and previous equations to solve for mass. The relationship between a segment on the circumference of a circle and the angle subtended by that segment is also mentioned. The diagram provided may aid in solving the problem, as the farther away the object is, the smaller its angular size will be. The composition of the object is not mentioned.
astronomystudent
PROBLEM
If the size of a new Kuiper object is 0.0150 arc sec in angular size as seen from a distance of 42.00 AU, what is the true diameter? If it has a satellite with a period of 5.50 hours at a semimajor axis of 12500.0 km, what is the mass? What is the resulting density? What do you it is composed of?

What I know:
I know that I use V=4/3(pi)r^3 to get the density and previous equations to solve for mass. I don't know how I am supposed to apply the 0.0150 arc seconds or distance to solve for the diameter. What is the equation for that?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship of the some length of segment on the circumference of a circle and the angle subtended by that segment?

I have no idea what you mean when you say "angle subtended..."

Is the concept of angular size the trouble here. Here is a diagram, with this you should know what to do...
http://www.berrys.plus.com/hh5.gif

So the furthur away the object is, the smaller the angular size will become.

Hope this helps...
Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving for Diameter and Mass of a New Kuiper Object with a Satellite

1. What is Physics 250 Problem: Help?

Physics 250 Problem: Help is a problem or question related to the subject of Physics 250, which is a specific course or class in physics. It is a commonly asked question or issue that students may encounter while studying this subject.

2. What topics does Physics 250 cover?

Physics 250 covers a variety of topics in physics, including kinematics, dynamics, energy, momentum, and thermodynamics. It also delves into more advanced topics such as waves, electricity, and magnetism.

3. How can I solve a Physics 250 problem?

Solving a Physics 250 problem requires a combination of understanding the underlying concepts and applying problem-solving strategies. This may involve using mathematical equations, diagrams, and experimentation. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem before attempting to solve it.

4. Can I get help with a specific Physics 250 problem?

Yes, you can seek help from your professor, TA, classmates, or online resources for a specific Physics 250 problem. It is important to clearly explain the problem and provide any relevant information or data in order to receive effective assistance.

5. Are there any tips for studying for Physics 250?

Some tips for studying for Physics 250 include practicing problems regularly, reviewing lecture notes and textbook material, seeking help when needed, and engaging in active learning strategies. It is also beneficial to start studying early and to regularly attend class and participate in discussions.