Solving for C in 1.41 = |(1+1.10iC)/(1+0.1iC)|

• Thread starter Dirac8767
  • Start date
In summary, the magnitude of a complex number is defined as the square of the magnitude of its real component. In this problem, the real component is x, so the magnitude of the complex number is |x|. Using the fact that for complex numbers z and w, |z/w| = |z|/|w|, one can solve for x using the equation |x| = |z|/|w|.
Dirac8767
I have the following equation below but i am unsure about the method of finding the variable C. Sorry if its hard to read.

1.41 = |(1+1.10iC)/(1+0.1iC)|

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe multiplying by (1 - 0.1iC)/(1 - 0.1iC) inside the magnitude bars will make your life easier :)

Do you know how the magnitude of a complex number is defined?

If z = x + iy, then the magnitude of z is

[tex]|z| = \sqrt{zz^\ast} = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

where [itex]z^\ast = x - iy[/itex]. One can show that if z and w are complex numbers, then |z/w| = |z|/|w|. You can use this fact to help solve your problem. (This method won't require CompuChip's hint).

Mute said:
Do you know how the magnitude of a complex number is defined?

If z = x + iy, then the magnitude of z is

[tex]|z| = \sqrt{zz^\ast} = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

where [itex]z^\ast = x - iy[/itex]. One can show that if z and w are complex numbers, then |z/w| = |z|/|w|. You can use this fact to help solve your problem. (This method won't require CompuChip's hint).

Okay, but I am still struggling to see how that will help me solve for C

Dirac8767 said:
Okay, but I am still struggling to see how that will help me solve for C

If I gave you the problem

[tex]A = \sqrt{\frac{a^2 + d^2x^2}{b^2 + c^2x^2}}[/tex]

could you solve for x?

My advice helps you make your expression look like this one. If you can solve this one above, you can solve your problem. Can you see how to get from your original expression to a form looking like the one above using the fact that for complex numbers z and w, |z/w| = |z|/|w| and using the definition of the magnitude of a complex number, [itex]|z| = |x + iy| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex]?

Related to Solving for C in 1.41 = |(1+1.10iC)/(1+0.1iC)|

1. What does the equation "1.41 = |(1+1.10iC)/(1+0.1iC)|" represent?

The equation represents a mathematical expression that involves complex numbers and the absolute value function. It is used to solve for the value of C that makes the equation true.

2. Why is the absolute value function used in this equation?

The absolute value function is used to ensure that the result of the expression is always positive. This is necessary because complex numbers can have negative magnitudes, which can affect the overall result of the equation.

3. What is the significance of the number 1.41 in the equation?

The number 1.41 is the given value on the left side of the equation. It is the value that the expression is equated to and serves as a starting point for solving for C.

4. How do you solve for C in this equation?

To solve for C, you can use algebraic manipulation and properties of complex numbers. First, you can isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, you can square both sides of the equation to eliminate the absolute value bars. Finally, you can solve for C using the quadratic formula or other methods.

5. Can this equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved analytically using algebraic methods. However, the resulting expression may be complex and involve multiple steps. Alternatively, the equation can also be solved numerically using a computer or calculator.