Solving First-Order ODEs: Tips & Strategies

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes Tips
In summary, the conversation is about solving a first-order ODE with given constants K, R, and Q_0. The person asking for help has not worked on similar problems in a few years and is using an example from an old textbook. They have found the solution to the homogeneous equation and substituted it into the original equation to find the particular solution. After integrating, the final solution is found to be p(t) = \frac{Q_0 R\sin{2\pi t} - 2Q_0 R^2 K\pi\cos{2\pi t}}{4R^2 K^2\pi^2 + 1}.
tandoorichicken

Homework Statement

It's been a couple years since diff. eq.

Any tips/strategies on solving the first-order ODE:
[tex]K\frac{dp(t)}{dt} + \frac{p(t)}{R} = Q_0 \sin{(2\pi t)}[/tex]
where K, R and Q_0 are constants?

Physics news on Phys.org
TC, you know we can't help you unless you first show some effort on your part. What do you know about solving linear ODEs?

its been a really long time since I've had to solve ODEs for any class, so I'm just using the cookie cutter of an example in my old differential equation book to help. Please correct me if I am wrong in my work. (Note: I've disregarded the constants of integration for now).

The original equation is
[tex]K\frac{dp(t)}{dt} + \frac{p(t)}{R} = Q_0 \sin{(2\pi t)}[/tex]

I first solved the homogeneous equation
[tex]K\frac{dp(t)}{dt} + \frac{p(t)}{R} = 0[/tex]
[tex]K\frac{dp}{dt} = -\frac{1}{R} p[/tex]
[tex]p(t) = e^{-\frac{t}{RK}}[/tex]

Taking [itex]p_1 (t) = v(t)e^{-\frac{t}{RK}}[/itex], I substituted for p in the original inhomogeneous equation and simplified:

[tex]p_1' = v' e^{-\frac{t}{RK}} - \frac{1}{RK} ve^{-\frac{t}{RK}[/tex]
[tex]Kv' e^{-\frac{t}{RK} = Q_0 \sin{2\pi t}[/tex]
[tex]v' (t) = \frac{Q_0}{K}\frac{\sin{2\pi t}}{e^{-\frac{t}{RK}}}[/tex]

Upon integrating, one gets
[tex]v(t) = e^{\frac{t}{RK}} [\frac{Q_0 R\sin{2\pi t} - 2Q_0 R^2 K\pi\cos{2\pi t}}{4R^2 K^2\pi^2 + 1}] [/tex]

Thus,
[tex] p(t) = v(t)e^{-\frac{t}{RK}} = \frac{Q_0 R\sin{2\pi t} - 2Q_0 R^2 K\pi\cos{2\pi t}}{4R^2 K^2\pi^2 + 1} [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Solving First-Order ODEs: Tips & Strategies

1. What is a first-order ODE?

A first-order ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is an equation that relates an unknown function to its derivative with respect to a single independent variable. It is called "first-order" because it involves the first derivative of the unknown function.

2. Why is it important to solve first-order ODEs?

First-order ODEs are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, including growth and decay, motion, and chemical reactions. Solving these equations allows us to understand and make predictions about these phenomena, making them an essential tool in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are some common strategies for solving first-order ODEs?

Some common strategies for solving first-order ODEs include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Each strategy may be more suitable for certain types of equations, so it is important to familiarize yourself with all of them.

4. What are some tips for solving first-order ODEs efficiently?

When solving first-order ODEs, it is helpful to first identify the type of equation (e.g. linear, separable, exact) and then apply the appropriate strategy. It is also important to pay attention to initial conditions, as they can greatly affect the solution. Additionally, practicing and working through a variety of examples can help improve your problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any software or tools available to help solve first-order ODEs?

Yes, there are various software and tools available to help solve first-order ODEs, such as Mathematica, MATLAB, and Wolfram Alpha. These programs can handle complex equations and provide step-by-step solutions, making them useful for both beginners and advanced users.