Solving Faraday's Law: Circular Loop with Resistance 0.380Ω

In summary, a circular loop of wire with a radius of 0.0300m and resistance of 0.380Ω is placed in a spatially uniform magnetic field. At t = 0, the magnetic field is 0 and then begins to increase at a rate of (0.350T/s^3)t^3. The question asks for the current in the loop when the magnetic field is at 1.42 T, but the incorrect answer of 0.0065A is found by dividing the average rate of change of B by the resistance. To find the correct answer of 0.019A, the instantaneous rate of change of B at t = 1.59s must be found by different
reed2100

Homework Statement

A circular loop of wire with radius 0.0300m and resistance 0.380Ω is in a region of spatially uniform magnetic field, as shown in the following figure(Figure 1). The magnetic field is directed into the plane of the figure. At t = 0, B = 0. The magnetic field then begins increasing, with B(t)=( 0.350T/s3)t3.

Homework Equations

ε = -N*(dΦB / dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Area = pi*r^2 = pi(.03^2) = .0028 m^2

Magnetic field is perpendicular to plane of loop.

ΦB = (B→)⋅dA→ = BA cos(Θ)

B(t) is given at an instant where it equals 1.42 T, so solving 1.42 = .35 t^3 for t: (1.42/.35)^(1/3) = 1.59 seconds

I then reason that since t and be started at 0, at this given instant dB = 1.42 Tesla and dt = 1.59 seconds.

Since only the magnetic field changes, I can say dΦB/dt = (dB/dt)Acos(Θ)

Since Θ = 0 due to magnetic field being perpendicular to plane of loop, it simplifies to dΦB/dt = (dB/dt)A

So ε = 1*(dB/dt)A = (1.42/1.59)*.0028 = .0025 volts

However the question asks for current I in the loop, so I said ε = IR: thus ε/R = I by ohm's law

.0025 volts / .380 ohms = .0065 Amps.

This is incorrect, the correct answer was .0199 Amps and I'm not sure what I did wrong. Was I supposed to differentiate B(t) or something? I got the direction of the current in the loop correct, I understand Lemz law and recall the common right hand rule conventions. Any and all help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.
reed2100 said:
I then reason that since t and be started at 0, at this given instant dB = 1.42 Tesla and dt = 1.59 seconds.

Dividing 1.42 T by 1.59 s gives the average rate of change of the B field during the time interval between t = 0 and t = 1.59 s. But you need the instantaneous rate of change of B at the instant when t = 1.59 s.

I see, so I would differentiate B(t) to get 3(.350 T)t^2, and then plug in t = 1.59 seconds to find the instantaneous rate of change of B at that instant, correct?

dB/dt is just saying the derivative of B with respect to t, so my derivation above and then plug in t =1.59 to find dB/dt at that instant of 1.59 seconds? That would be the change in magnetic field at that instant which when combined with it's propagation across the area .0028 m^2, is what induces the electromotive force in the loop.

So dB/dt with that said is 3(1.59^2)(.350) = 2.65

2.65(area of .0028 m^2) = .00742 volts

.00742 volts / .380 ohms = .0195 amps, and the answer was .019 amps for sig figs. Thank you so much! I see how I went wrong now.

Related to Solving Faraday's Law: Circular Loop with Resistance 0.380Ω

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. It states that the magnitude of the induced electric field is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.

2. How does a circular loop with resistance of 0.380Ω relate to Faraday's Law?

A circular loop with resistance of 0.380Ω is a common example used to demonstrate Faraday's Law. This setup allows for the measurement of the induced electric field in the loop when a changing magnetic field is applied.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced electric field in the circular loop?

The magnitude of the induced electric field in the circular loop is affected by the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the loop, the area of the loop, and the resistance of the loop.

4. How is Faraday's Law used in practical applications?

Faraday's Law is used in many practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism and is used to understand phenomena such as electromagnetic induction and electromagnetic radiation.

5. Are there any limitations to Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and has been proven to accurately predict the behavior of induced electric fields. However, it does have some limitations, such as not being able to fully explain the behavior of non-conservative electric fields and the effects of non-uniform magnetic fields.