Solving Elastic Collision: Final Speed of Mass M

In summary, the final speeds of particles M and 3M after a head-on elastic collision can be calculated using the equations v1_f = [(m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2)) * v1_i + [(2 * m2) / (m1 + m2)) * v2_i] and v2_f = [(2 * m1) / (m1 + m2)] * v1_i + [( m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2)] * v2_i. In this case, the final speed of particle M is -6.58 m/s and the final speed of particle 3M is 0 m/s. The sign of v1
ViewtifulBeau
Two particles of masses M and 3M are moving towards each other along the +x and -x directions with the same initial speed 3.29 m/s. They undergo a 'head-on' elastic collision and each rebounds along the same line as it approached. What is the final speed of the particle of mass M in m/s?

so i used mv + mv = mv + mv so
3.29M -3.29(3M) = M(v) + 3M(v):
-6.58 = v + 3v
v = -1.645

now I am confused, i know this isn't the right answer. I don't know what to do next. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ViewtifulBeau said:
so i used mv + mv = mv + mv so
3.29M -3.29(3M) = M(v) + 3M(v):
The final speeds of M and 3M aren't equal.

ok so we have m1v1_ + m2v2_i = m1v1_f + m2v2_f

and

.5m1v1_i^2 + .5m2v2_i^2 = .5m1v1_f + .5m2v2_f

now let's manipulate it some and we get

v1_i + v1_f = v2_f + v2_i

and

v1_i - v2_i = -(v1_f - v2_f)

since we know the mass and initial velocity

v1_f = [(m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2)) * v1_i + [(2 * m2) / ( m1 + m2)) * v2_i

and

v2_f = [(2 * m1) / (m1 + m2)] * v1_i + [( m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2)] * v2_i

so let's see what you get

i got v1_f is -6.58 m/s
and v2_f is 0 m/s

is the sign on v1_f correct?

does this sound correct to you??

i think that v2 should have a final vel since it had an initial vel, but i haven't calc'd it out

and as far as the sign goes, it depends which way it was going initially

Related to Solving Elastic Collision: Final Speed of Mass M

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How do you calculate the final speed of a mass after an elastic collision?

The final speed of a mass after an elastic collision can be calculated using the equation: vf = (m1*v1 + m2*v2)/(m1 + m2), where vf is the final speed, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

3. Are there any assumptions made when solving for the final speed of a mass in an elastic collision?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when solving for the final speed of a mass in an elastic collision. These include assuming that the collision is happening in a vacuum, that there is no external force acting on the objects, and that the objects are perfectly elastic (no deformations occur).

4. Can the final speed of a mass be greater than the initial speed in an elastic collision?

Yes, it is possible for the final speed of a mass to be greater than the initial speed in an elastic collision. This can happen if the objects have different masses and initial velocities, and if the collision is at an angle rather than head-on.

5. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy, whereas in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy (such as heat or sound). In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other, while in an inelastic collision, the objects stick together or deform upon impact.