Solving Decay & Parity Problem with J=1 & Spin 1/2 Particles

In summary: J is conserved and equals 1.But, "knowing that the final particles are indentical they must have a antisymmetric wave function due to Fermi Dirac...and so L must be odd . => L=1" is wrong.The spinXorbital wave function must be antisymmetric.
erwinscat
Hello all ! I was trying to solve the following problem : you have a particle with spin J=1 and unknown parity that decays into 2 indentical particles of spin = 1/2

We want to know how much the angular momentum of the final state is and also the final total spin.

Now, my reasonment was the following.

Stot_final = either 0 or 1 since it is the vector sum of the spin of both identical final particles.

Knowing that |L-S|<=J<= L+S we have to cases but I assumed that J=1 is conserved in the decay but it wasn't told so ...

we would have

for S=0 => L= 1
for S=1 => L= (0,1,2)

knowing that the final particles are indentical they must have a antisymmetric wave function due to Fermi Dirac...and so L must be odd . => L=1

but we still have to cases (S,L)= (0,1) or (1,1) if J=1 was to be conserved I'd say th only possible is (0,1) but the solutions say the only possibile solution knowing that J=1 is (1,1) ..

Conclusion, I don't know where I'm mistaking !

Any help would be appreciated ! Maybe I shouldn't assume that J was conserved...

Thanks in advance !
Erwin

Physics news on Phys.org
J is conserved and equals 1.
But,
"knowing that the final particles are indentical they must have a antisymmetric wave function due to Fermi Dirac...and so L must be odd . => L=1"
is wrong.
The spinXorbital wave function must be antisymmetric.
This means that S=0 goes with L=0 or 2, neither of which can give J=1.
Therefor S=1, and L=1, with 1+1=1.

Hi and thanks a lot for the answer !

There is still something I don't get .. how do you get L=0 or L=2 with S=0 and more how do you get J=1 = L+S = 1+1 ?? if L=1 and S= 1 shouldn't you get in this case 0 or 2 . (L-S or L+S)?

Isn't this correct :

|L-S|<= 1<= L+S

if S= 0 then you have L=1
if S=1 then you have L= 0,1,2 ?

I guess not since you just said so ...but why isn't that so , where is my mistake ?

Thanks in advance !
Erwin

Related to Solving Decay & Parity Problem with J=1 & Spin 1/2 Particles

1. What is the Decay & Parity Problem?

The Decay & Parity Problem refers to the challenge of understanding the behavior of particles with different spin values in the process of decay. Specifically, it focuses on the decay of particles with spin 1 and spin 1/2, which have different properties and require different approaches to understand the phenomenon.

2. How is the Decay & Parity Problem solved with J=1 & Spin 1/2 particles?

The J=1 and Spin 1/2 particles are two different types of particles that have different properties and behaviors. By studying the decay of these particles separately and then combining the results, scientists can gain a better understanding of the overall process and solve the Decay & Parity Problem.

3. What is the role of parity in solving the Decay & Parity Problem?

Parity, or the symmetry of a particle's wave function, plays a crucial role in understanding the decay process of particles. By studying the parity of particles with different spin values, scientists can gain a better understanding of the overall behavior and solve the Decay & Parity Problem.

4. How does the J=1 & Spin 1/2 model help in solving the Decay & Parity Problem?

The J=1 & Spin 1/2 model allows scientists to study the decay of particles with different spin values separately and then combine the results to gain a better understanding of the overall process. This model helps in solving the Decay & Parity Problem by providing a framework for analyzing the behavior of particles with different spin values.

5. What are the implications of solving the Decay & Parity Problem with J=1 & Spin 1/2 particles?

Solving the Decay & Parity Problem with J=1 & Spin 1/2 particles has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It can also help us develop more accurate models and theories to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions. Additionally, this understanding can have practical applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear energy, and medical imaging technology.