Solving Currents Using Superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the currents using superposition, where one source is removed and the problem is solved in two steps. The person is unsure of how to proceed with the solution and questions whether using node equations is the best approach. The discussion also mentions the presence of another 9V source in series with R5 that was initially not mentioned. Suggestions are given to potentially use mesh currents and combine R2 and R3 for a quicker solution.
tanky322

Homework Statement

Solve for all of the currents using superposition.
superP.jpg

Homework Equations

Remove the one source and solve the problem in two steps.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive isolated each source separately but once i get to that point I am completely stumped on what route to take. I know i could probably use node eq's but I am not sure if that's the best way to go about solving it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
edit: don't think this would work.

Last edited:
Doesn't the principle of superposition deal with multiple sources? Where is the other source in your circuit? Have you shown it removed with a short?

dlgoff said:
Doesn't the principle of superposition deal with multiple sources? Where is the other source in your circuit? Have you shown it removed with a short?

Woops! yes there is another 9V source in series with R5, below it.

Mesh currents might be a quicker route to your answer, since you are trying to solve for current. I would also combine R2 and R3 just to knock out a few numbers from the start.

Related to Solving Currents Using Superposition

1. What is superposition and how does it apply to solving currents?

Superposition is a principle in physics that states that the total response of a system is the sum of its individual responses. In the context of solving currents, this means that the total current in a circuit can be found by adding up the individual currents from each source separately.

2. What are the steps for using superposition to solve currents?

The steps for using superposition to solve currents are as follows:

1. Identify all the sources of current in the circuit.

2. For each source, treat all other sources as if they were turned off (replaced with a wire).

3. Calculate the current from each source using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws.

4. Add up all the individual currents to find the total current in the circuit.

3. When should superposition be used to solve currents?

Superposition can be used to solve currents in any circuit that has multiple sources of current. It is particularly useful in circuits with many sources and complex configurations, as it allows for a step-by-step approach to finding the total current.

4. Are there any limitations to using superposition to solve currents?

Yes, there are some limitations to using superposition. It can only be applied to circuits that are linear (obey Ohm's Law) and have only independent sources of current. It also cannot be used to find the voltage at a specific point in the circuit, only the total current.

5. Can superposition be applied to circuits with resistors in parallel?

Yes, superposition can be applied to circuits with resistors in parallel. When calculating the current from each source, the parallel resistors can be combined using the equivalent resistance formula (1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...). The resulting current can then be used to find the total current using superposition.