Solving cubic or higher degree polynomials by hand

In summary, finding the roots of equations by hand can be a complex and involved process. For equations above the third degree, it is generally impossible to solve completely by hand unless it can be factored into equations of the third degree or less. There are formulas for solving quadratic and cubic equations, but they are not simple computations like the quadratic formula. For fifth or higher degree equations, there is no such formula as some roots cannot be written as radicals. Various formulas and techniques
dak246
How does one find the roots of an equation, for instance:
r^4 + r^3 - 7r^2 - r + 6 = 0
...completely by hand. Is there some type of non-lengthy process or trick to find special circumstances for easy solving? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Such equations, up to the third degree generally, may be solved by hand, but the method of solution is quite complex and involved. For equations above the third degree, unless you can come up with a factoring which brings it down to equations of the third degree or less, it is generally impossible to solve for the roots of such equations completely by hand. One would be better off utilizing a computer driven equation solving program like MatLab or Maple.
If such an equation is given by an instructor as an assignment, and one is not going to use the computer, it is a good bet that it can be factored. Look for quadratic factoring in your example. Then once factored, use the known solution technique of quadratic equations to find the four roots, 2 roots for each quadratic equation. (i.e. look for a,b,c,d, where (r^2+ar+b)(r^2+cr+d)=r^4+r^3-7r^2-r+6. So a+c=1, b+d+ac=-7, ad+bc=-1, bd=6).

Both those posts helped me greatly. Thanks alot.

You can try a few small values to get the "feel" of it. In this case, r=1 is a root, and so by the factor theorem we have: (r-1)(r^3+2r^2-5r-6). In the second poloynominal we have the constant value 6, so that integers that might divide it are of the form plus and minus: 1, 2,3,6.

an extract from a famous work of algebra:

i got bored with fixing all the superscripts that reproduced badly after a while:

For the solutions x1, x2 of the quadratic equation x^2+px+q = 0, we have (since at least 825 AD) the formula x = (1/2){-p + D^(1/2)}, in terms of the coefficients p, q, where D = (x1-x2)^2 = p^2-4q. The two solutions are obtained by taking the two square roots of D. For the cubic equation x^3+px+q = 0, years of toil and some intrigue led to the publication, by Cardano in 1545, of the following formula. x =

(1/3)[{(-27q/2)+(3/2)(-3D)^(1/2)}^(1/3) - 3p/{(-27q/2) + (3/2)(-3D)^(1/2)}^(1/3)].

Fixing a value of (-3D)^(1/2), where
D = (x1- x2)^2(x1-x3)^2(x2-x3)^2 = -4p^3-27q^2, and varying the cube root gives all three solutions. Eg., in the equation x^3-1 = 0, p = 0, q = -1, D = -27, so we get x = (1/3){27/2 + 27/2}^(1/3) =
{1/2 + 1/2}^(1/3) = 11/3, as hoped.

Similarly, for x^3-a = 0, we have p = 0, q = -a, D = -27a^2, hence
x = (1/3){27a/2 + (3/2)(81a^2)^(1/2)}^(1/3) = (1/3){27a}^(1/3) = a^(1/3).

For x^3 - 4x = 0, we get p = -4, q = 0, D = 256, and so

x = (1/3) [{(3/2)(-768)^(1/2)}^(1/3) + 12/{(3/2)(-768)^(1/2)}^(1/3)]

= (1/3) [ {(-27)(64)}^(1/6) + 12/{(-27)(64)}^(1/6) ]

= (1/3) [ 2¯3 i1/3 + 12/{2¯3 i1/3} ] = (2/¯3 )( i1/3 + i-1/3)

= (4/¯3 )Re(i1/3).

Varying the cube roots of i in this formula gives
(4/¯3 )(cos(

Related to Solving cubic or higher degree polynomials by hand

1. How do I know if a polynomial is cubic or higher degree?

A polynomial is considered cubic if it has a degree of 3 or higher. This means that the highest exponent in the polynomial is 3 or higher. You can identify the degree of a polynomial by looking at the term with the highest exponent.

2. What is the process for solving cubic or higher degree polynomials by hand?

The process for solving cubic or higher degree polynomials by hand is to use the technique of factoring. This involves finding the factors of the polynomial and then using those factors to rewrite the polynomial in a way that makes it easier to solve. From there, you can solve for the roots of the polynomial.

3. Can all cubic or higher degree polynomials be solved by hand?

Yes, all cubic or higher degree polynomials can be solved by hand using the technique of factoring. However, some polynomials may have complex or irrational roots, which can make the process more challenging.

4. What if I am unable to factor a cubic or higher degree polynomial?

If you are unable to factor a cubic or higher degree polynomial, you can use the Rational Roots Theorem to help identify potential rational roots. You can also use the quadratic formula to solve for the roots if the polynomial can be rewritten in the form of a quadratic equation.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving cubic or higher degree polynomials by hand?

One tip for solving cubic or higher degree polynomials by hand is to start by looking for common factors among the terms. This can help simplify the polynomial and make it easier to factor. It is also helpful to work in an organized manner and double check your work to avoid mistakes.