Solving Complex Number Equations: Tips for Beginners | Mathboy20

In this case, you can use substitution to solve for one variable and then substitute that value into the other equation to solve for the other variable. The final answer is z=-i and w=-2+i.
mathboy20
Hi I'm fairly new to complex numbers and was yesterday presented with the following assignment.

Find [tex]w,z \in \mathbb{C} [/tex]

[tex]w + (1+i)z = -1[/tex]

[tex](1-i) - z = 1[/tex]

Any hints on how to solve these equations?

Sincerely Yours

Mathboy20

Physics news on Phys.org
Systems of linear equations with complex numbers can be solved with the same methods used for real systems, perhaps easiest are matrix methods or Cramer's rule.

For example--oh, it is easier to do this:

(1) [tex]w + (1+i)z = -1[/tex]
(2) [tex](1-i) - z = 1[/tex]

(2) gives z=-i (by adding z-1 to both sides), substitute this into (1) to get

[tex]w + (1+i)(-i) = -1[/tex]
[tex]w + -i+1 = -1[/tex]
[tex]w = -2+i[/tex]

so the final answer is z=-i and w=-2+i

You generally solve complex equations the same way you would solve real equations.

Related to Solving Complex Number Equations: Tips for Beginners | Mathboy20

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are typically represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

Why do we need to solve complex number equations?

Complex numbers are used to solve a wide range of mathematical problems and are especially useful in fields such as physics and engineering. Being able to solve complex number equations allows us to accurately model and understand real-world phenomena.

What are some tips for beginners in solving complex number equations?

1. Familiarize yourself with the rules of complex numbers, such as how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide them.2. Understand the concept of complex conjugates and how they are used in solving equations.3. Practice using the quadratic formula to solve complex number equations.4. Use graphing tools to visualize complex numbers and their solutions.5. Don't be afraid to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.

How can I check if my solution to a complex number equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can graph the equation and your solution on a complex plane to visually confirm it.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex number equations?

1. Mixing up the real and imaginary parts of a complex number.2. Forgetting to distribute the imaginary unit (i) when simplifying expressions.3. Not using the correct order of operations when solving equations.4. Forgetting to check for extraneous solutions.5. Not fully simplifying your final answer.