Solving Complementary Sets: n(A U B)

• Thread starter blunted
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: A intersection B) put in an X and try to use your logic to figure out the counts for the four areas and then the A union B should be obvious.
blunted

Homework Statement

If n(A - B) = 5, n(A' - B) = 4, n(A') = 10, n(B'-A') = 12. What is n(AUB) = ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a big rectangle and inside 2 intersected diagrams A and B. I drew 5 dots in the (( of diagram A. Now that A' is complementary that means they have nothing in common, so I drew 5 dots outside of the diagrams(inside the rectangle).
n(B' - A') = 12. If A' = 10. B' = 2?

About the question above. NOTHING else is given, just that.

Physics news on Phys.org
so start with the venn diagram and put in the numbers you know and for (A intersection B) put in an X and try to use your logic to figure out the counts for the four areas and then the A union B should be obvious.

blunted said:

Homework Statement

If n(A - B) = 5, n(A' - B) = 4, n(A') = 10, n(B'-A') = 12. What is n(AUB) = ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a big rectangle and inside 2 intersected diagrams A and B.
You're assuming that the two sets intersect, which might not be true, based on the given information.

I think there are four possibilities:
1) A and B are disjoint (no common members)
2) A and B intersect for some members, but not all of them (i.e., some members of A aren't also in B, and vice versa)
3) A is completely contained in B
4) B is completely contained in A

Draw a Venn diagram for each of these scenarios. For each one identify the sets A - B, A' - B, A', and B' - A'. See if you can sprinkle your dots so that the four given conditions are met. You should then be able to determine n(A U B).
blunted said:
I drew 5 dots in the (( of diagram A. Now that A' is complementary that means they have nothing in common, so I drew 5 dots outside of the diagrams(inside the rectangle).
n(B' - A') = 12. If A' = 10. B' = 2?

About the question above. NOTHING else is given, just that.

Related to Solving Complementary Sets: n(A U B)

What is the definition of complementary sets?

Complementary sets are two sets that have no elements in common. In other words, if set A and set B are complementary, then A U B = ∅ (the empty set).

How do you solve for n(A U B)?

To solve for n(A U B), you first need to find the number of elements in each set A and B. Then, add those two numbers together and subtract the number of elements that are in both sets (if any). The resulting number is n(A U B).

What is the relationship between n(A U B) and the size of the universe?

n(A U B) is always less than or equal to the size of the universe. This is because if two sets are complementary, they cannot have more elements than the total number of elements in the universe.

Can complementary sets have more than two sets?

Yes, complementary sets can have more than two sets. For example, you can have three sets A, B, and C, where A U B U C = ∅. In this case, each set would have no elements in common with the other two sets.

How can complementary sets be represented visually?

Complementary sets can be represented using Venn diagrams. In a Venn diagram, two sets that are complementary would have no overlapping regions, indicating that they have no elements in common.