Solving Classic Physics Problems with Euler, Bernoulli & Co.

• Thread starter opsb
  • Start date
In summary, solving classic physics problems is not only interesting, but also rewarding in terms of understanding fundamental principles and laws of physics. Some examples include the catenary, brachistochrone, and elastica problems, but there are many others worth exploring. These problems not only have practical applications, but also push us to think critically and creatively about the physical world.
opsb
I find it very interesting trying to solve the 'classic' kind of physics problems. The ones that Euler, the Bernouillis and co. bandied about, I've come across:

The shape of a hanging chain

The shape of a hanging elastic string

The brachistochrone (the shape of a wire such that a bead running along it gets from A to B in the shortest time possible in a gravitational potential)

The elastica (shape of a toothpick being gently bent)

Profile curve of a bubble film suspended between two identical rings

Profile curve of a meniscus (water in a glass beaker sort of thing)

The last one I created a thread on a while ago, and think I got to the bottom of it. Let me know if you get a solution.

Wondered if anyone knew any other good ones.

If not, have a crack at these, some of them are pretty tricky (and watch out - there's no general analytic solution to the elastica problem, so don't pull your hair out over it).

Hope I've posted this in the right place. They're clearly not homework questions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! First of all, I want to say that I completely agree with you - solving classic physics problems is not only interesting, but also very rewarding. It allows us to understand the fundamental principles and laws of physics in a more concrete way.

Regarding the problems you mentioned, I have come across some of them during my studies and research. The shape of a hanging chain, for example, is a classic problem in mechanics known as the catenary. It has practical applications in architecture and engineering, as it describes the shape of a cable or rope hanging freely under its own weight.

The brachistochrone problem, on the other hand, is a classic problem in calculus of variations. It was first solved by Johann Bernoulli in the 17th century and has since been studied extensively by mathematicians and physicists. It has applications in fields such as optimal control and robotics.

The elastica problem, as you mentioned, does not have a general analytic solution. However, it has been studied extensively using numerical methods and has applications in fields such as structural engineering and material science.

Apart from these, there are many other classic physics problems that are worth exploring. Some examples include the Kepler problem (describing the motion of planets around the sun), the double-slit experiment (explaining the wave-particle duality of light), and the harmonic oscillator (describing the motion of a mass attached to a spring).

In addition to these, there are also many interesting problems in modern physics that are still being studied and researched. These include the behavior of systems at the quantum level, the theory of relativity, and the search for a unified theory of physics.

Overall, I think it's great that you are interested in solving these classic physics problems. They not only enhance our understanding of the physical world but also challenge us to think critically and creatively. Keep exploring and don't hesitate to share your findings with others - who knows, you might just inspire someone else to delve into the fascinating world of physics.

Related to Solving Classic Physics Problems with Euler, Bernoulli & Co.

1. What is Euler's method and how is it used in physics problem-solving?

Euler's method is a numerical method used to approximate solutions to differential equations. It involves dividing the interval of interest into smaller subintervals and using linear approximations to estimate the solution at each point. In physics, it can be used to solve problems involving motion and other dynamic systems.

2. How does Bernoulli's principle relate to solving physics problems?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is frequently used in physics problems involving fluid mechanics, such as calculating the lift force on an airplane wing or the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe.

3. Can these methods be applied to all types of physics problems?

While Euler's method and Bernoulli's principle are useful tools in many physics problems, they may not be applicable to all situations. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and assumptions of these methods before applying them to a specific problem.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using these methods?

One common mistake when using Euler's method is choosing a step size that is too large, resulting in inaccurate approximations. It is also important to check for any assumptions made in applying Bernoulli's principle, such as assuming an ideal fluid or neglecting viscous effects.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills using these methods?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice using these methods on a variety of problems and to understand the underlying concepts and principles. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or tutor, and to review and analyze your approach to problem-solving to identify areas for improvement.