Solving Circuit Problem: Currents I_1 & I_2 at t=0 & Long Time

In summary: This constant current is exactly the same as that for I_2.In summary, the currents I_1 and I_2 through resistors R_1 and R_2, respectively, in the given circuit can be represented by an exponential graph with I_2 starting at a value of \frac{V}{R_1 + R_2} and decreasing over time, while I_1 starts at 0 and increases over time, eventually reaching a steady state value of \frac{V}{R_1 + R_2}. This behavior is due to the discharge of the capacitor across R_2 when S2 is closed.
mooshasta
I came across the following problem recently:

http://www.tubaroo.com/stuff/circuit.gif

[itex]R_1 = R_2 = 4700 \Omega[/itex]
[itex]C = 0.060 F[/itex]
[itex]V = 12 V[/itex]S1 has been closed for a long time. At t = 0, S2 is closed. Sketch a graph of the currents [itex]I_1[/itex] through [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]I_2[/itex] through [itex]R_2[/itex].
I wasn't really sure where to begin with this. I ended up with the following graph:

http://www.tubaroo.com/stuff/igraph.gif

I reasoned that at t=0, the entire voltage (12 V) appears across the capacitor (since S1 had been closed for a long time), so when [itex]R_2[/itex] is placed in parallel with it, there must be a 12 V potential difference across it, too. The current [itex]I_2[/itex] must be [itex]\frac{12}{4700}[/itex] then. The current through [itex]R_1[/itex] is 0 at t = 0 because S1 had been closed for a long time. At a long time after S2 is closed, however, the resistors are effectively in series with one another. Therefore the currents through each must be the same, and equal to the voltage of the battery over the sum of the resistances, or [itex]\frac{12}{9400}[/itex].

I can't figure how exactly the graphs would look between the two points, but this is my best guess.Can anyone help explain to me exactly what happens in between? Much appriciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mooshasta said:
I came across the following problem recently:

http://www.tubaroo.com/stuff/circuit.gif

[itex]R_1 = R_2 = 4700 \Omega[/itex]
[itex]C = 0.060 F[/itex]
[itex]V = 12 V[/itex]

S1 has been closed for a long time. At t = 0, S2 is closed. Sketch a graph of the currents [itex]I_1[/itex] through [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]I_2[/itex] through [itex]R_2[/itex].

I wasn't really sure where to begin with this. I ended up with the following graph:

http://www.tubaroo.com/stuff/igraph.gif

I reasoned that at t=0, the entire voltage (12 V) appears across the capacitor (since S1 had been closed for a long time), so when [itex]R_2[/itex] is placed in parallel with it, there must be a 12 V potential difference across it, too. The current [itex]I_2[/itex] must be [itex]\frac{12}{4700}[/itex] then. The current through [itex]R_1[/itex] is 0 at t = 0 because S1 had been closed for a long time. At a long time after S2 is closed, however, the resistors are effectively in series with one another. Therefore the currents through each must be the same, and equal to the voltage of the battery over the sum of the resistances, or [itex]\frac{12}{9400}[/itex].

I can't figure how exactly the graphs would look between the two points, but this is my best guess.

Can anyone help explain to me exactly what happens in between? Much appriciated.

Your answer is essentially correct, and the shape of your graph is the correct exponential one.

To appreciate what is actually going on, you need to set up a system of equations involving Kirchoff's laws, and solve them (this will involve solving a first order differential equation).

The equations are [tex]C\frac{dV_C}{dt} = I_1 - I_2[/tex]
[tex]V_C - I_2R_2 = 0[/tex] and
[tex]I_1R_1 - V + I_2R_2 = 0[/tex]

which are basically Kirchoff's first and second laws applied to the loops and junctions of this circuit. [tex]V_C[/tex] is the potential difference across the capacitor.

After solving that system, you will find that :

[tex]I_2 = \frac{V}{R_1 + R_2}(1 + \frac{R_1}{R_2}e^{-\frac{R_1 + R_2}{CR_1R_2}t})[/tex]

and [tex]I_1 = \frac{V - I_2R_2}{R_1}[/tex]

which will correspond to your graph.

In simple terms, you can visualise the capacitor as starting out with a charge of V volts, then starting to discharge across R2 when S2 is thrown. The discharge current will be exponentially decreasing with time. It will not discharge completely, instead, the system reaches steady state when the voltage across the capacitor is [tex]V_C = \frac{VR_2}{R_1 + R_2}[/tex], which is also the final potential drop across the second resistor.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would like to provide some additional insights and clarify some points in your explanation.

Firstly, your reasoning for the current through R_2 at t=0 is correct. The current through a capacitor at the moment of closing a switch is given by I = C*(dV/dt), where C is the capacitance and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage. In this case, since the switch S1 has been closed for a long time, the voltage across the capacitor is constant (12V) and therefore the current through R_2 is simply 12V/4700Ω = 0.00255A.

Secondly, I would like to clarify that the current through R_1 at t=0 is not exactly 0, but it is very small. This is because the capacitor acts as an open circuit at the moment of closing the switch, allowing only a small amount of current to flow through R_1. This small current is given by the formula I = V/R, where V is the voltage across the capacitor (12V) and R is the resistance of R_1 (4700Ω). This results in a very small current of 0.00255A, which is negligible compared to the current through R_2.

Now, let's look at what happens in between t=0 and t=∞. As you correctly pointed out, at a long time after S2 is closed, the resistors are effectively in series and the current through each of them must be the same. However, the current does not suddenly jump from 0.00255A to 0.00128A (12V/9400Ω) at t=∞. Instead, the current gradually increases from 0.00255A to 0.00128A as the capacitor discharges. This discharge is exponential in nature and is given by the formula I = I_0*e^(-t/RC), where I_0 is the initial current (0.00255A), t is the time, R is the total resistance (9400Ω) and C is the capacitance (0.060F). This means that the current through R_2 will gradually decrease while the current through R_1 will gradually increase until they both reach the steady state value of 0.00128A at t=∞.

I hope this explanation helps

Related to Solving Circuit Problem: Currents I_1 & I_2 at t=0 & Long Time

What is the definition of "current" in a circuit problem?

In a circuit problem, current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I.

How do I calculate the currents I1 and I2 at t=0 in a circuit?

To calculate the currents at t=0, you will need to use Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) must be equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. You will also need to use Ohm's law, which states that the current through a resistor is equal to the voltage across the resistor divided by the resistance. By setting up and solving a system of equations using these laws, you can calculate the currents at t=0.

How do I solve for the long-term currents in a circuit?

To solve for the long-term currents, you can use the concept of steady state in a circuit. In steady state, the currents and voltages in a circuit do not change over time. This means that the currents at t=0 will be equal to the long-term currents. You can solve for the long-term currents using the same methods as calculating the currents at t=0.

What factors can affect the accuracy of my calculations for the currents in a circuit?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of your calculations for the currents in a circuit. These include the precision of the measurements used, the assumptions made in the calculations, and any external factors that may impact the circuit, such as temperature or noise. It is important to double check your calculations and take into account any potential sources of error.

Can I use a circuit simulator to solve for the currents in a circuit?

Yes, you can use a circuit simulator to solve for the currents in a circuit. These simulators use mathematical algorithms to model the behavior of circuits and can provide accurate results. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and equations used in the simulator to ensure the accuracy of the results.