Solving Carnot Heat Engine: Tf = SQRT(TcTh)

In summary, the conversation discusses using calculus to find the maximum (or minimum) of a function. The person asks for clarification on the process and is told to differentiate once and determine if it is a maximum or minimum. They then ask which equation to differentiate and the conversation ends with them trying to use this method to solve a problem involving a heat pump and its efficiency.
Carlo09

Homework Statement

A heat pump takes heat from a hot resevoir and dissipates heat to a cold one. Both resevoirs are equal mass and specific heat capacity. Show that as the heat engine does maximal work the final temp of the resevoirs = Tf = SQRT(TcTh)

Homework Equations

Qin = Wout + Qout
mc(Th-Tf) = Wout + mc(Tf -Tc)

Efficiency = Wout/Win = 1- (Qin/Qout)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know i somehow need to get TcTh^2 in order to get the solution so I used efficiecy as 1 for maximal work out but I also assumed no work in which means I'm dividing by 0! Or if I say 1= 1-Qin/Qout then Qout = 1-Qin and now I am just confused. Help please :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember from calculus how to find the maximum (or minimim) of a function?

hotvette said:
Remember from calculus how to find the maximum (or minimim) of a function?

Are you meaning differentiate and set to 0 and then solve? Differentiate again and is D^2f(x)/Dx^2 < 0 then it's a maximum?

Carlo09 said:
Are you meaning differentiate and set to 0 and then solve?

Yep, but you should only have to differentiate once. It should be pretty clear whether you have a max or min.

hotvette said:
Yep, but you should only have to differentiate once. It should be pretty clear whether you have a max or min.

Thank you, Which equation do I differentiate?

Carlo09 said:
Thank you, Which equation do I differentiate?

Ooo right ok so I have dw/dQ_h = (T1-T2)/T1 = 0

therefore T1-T2 = 0 so T1=T2=T and so

dw/dQ_h = (T-T)/T which is 0 which doesn't help me :S

Related to Solving Carnot Heat Engine: Tf = SQRT(TcTh)

1. What is a Carnot Heat Engine?

A Carnot Heat Engine is a theoretical engine that operates on a reversible thermodynamic cycle, using a heat source and a heat sink to convert thermal energy into mechanical work. It is considered the most efficient engine possible, as it operates at the maximum theoretical efficiency.

2. What is the equation for solving a Carnot Heat Engine?

The equation to solve a Carnot Heat Engine is Tf = SQRT(TcTh), where Tf is the final temperature, Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir, and Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir. This equation is also known as the Carnot efficiency formula.

3. How does a Carnot Heat Engine work?

A Carnot Heat Engine works by absorbing heat from a hot reservoir, using it to do mechanical work, and then releasing the remaining heat to a cold reservoir. It operates using a reversible thermodynamic cycle, which means that the system goes through a series of steps that can be reversed without any loss of energy.

4. What is the significance of solving a Carnot Heat Engine?

Solving a Carnot Heat Engine is significant because it allows us to calculate the maximum theoretical efficiency of an engine operating between two given temperatures. This information is useful in designing and improving real-world engines, as it provides a benchmark for their performance.

5. Can the efficiency of a Carnot Heat Engine be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a Carnot Heat Engine cannot be greater than 100%. This is because it is based on the principles of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Therefore, the maximum efficiency of a Carnot Heat Engine must always be less than 100%.