Solving Cable Tension Question with Proportion

In summary, the speaker has a locking device with a cable running through it and needs to increase the locking tension from 1200 psi to between 1250 and 1400 psi. They plan to do this by adding a spacer with a length of 1.079 inches, calculated using a proportion and assuming a constant spring coefficient for the steel cable. The other person confirms that this approach makes sense and is appropriate given the low stress and yield strength of steel.
jw2007
I have a locking device with a cable running through it (think of pieces of PVC pipe with a cable through them). I apply pressure and pull on one end of the cable tightening it and pulling the pieces together so I can lock it with a cam device. To lock it presently it requires 1200 psi (hydraulic pressure) applied to the cable (tension). There is a spacer block .994" long that I pull the cam lock past to get to 1200 psi. I need to increase the locking tension to between 1250 psi and 1400 psi. I need to determine the length of the new spacer. I intend to calculate this as a proportion since the cable, which is steel, I believe should have a constant spring coefficient. My calculation for my next move is as follows:

I plan to add a spacer that is an additional .085" in length making the overall spacer length 1.079"

.994"/1200 psi = 1.079"/X psi

X = 1.079"(1200 psi/.994")

X= 1302.615 psi

Does this make sense?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming that everything is linear this makes sense. If we were talking about a rigid bar then since it is a low stress, you should definitely be in the linear range. I think you should end up close enough to what you want.

The stress is negligible compared to the yield strength of steel. A linear approximation is appropriate.

Related to Solving Cable Tension Question with Proportion

1. How do you calculate cable tension using proportion?

To calculate the cable tension using proportion, you need to know the length and weight of the cable, as well as the distance between the two anchor points. You can then use the equation T1/T2 = W1/W2, where T1 and T2 are the tensions at each anchor point, W1 is the weight of the cable at one anchor point, and W2 is the weight of the cable at the other anchor point. Solve for T1 and T2 to determine the cable tension at each point.

2. What are the units of measurement for cable tension?

The units of measurement for cable tension are typically pounds (lb) or newtons (N). These units represent the amount of force exerted on the cable at each anchor point.

3. Can cable tension be negative?

Yes, cable tension can be negative. This occurs when the weight of the cable is greater than the tension applied at one anchor point, causing the cable to sag or droop. In this case, the tension at that point would be represented as a negative value.

4. How does the distance between anchor points affect cable tension?

The distance between anchor points has a direct impact on cable tension. As the distance increases, the tension in the cable also increases. This is because a longer cable requires more tension to support its weight and resist any external forces acting on it.

5. What are some factors that can affect cable tension?

Some factors that can affect cable tension include the length and weight of the cable, the distance between anchor points, and any external forces acting on the cable such as wind or gravity. Changes in temperature can also affect cable tension, as different materials expand and contract at different rates.