Solving by using cylindrical shell method

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of evaluating the volume of a solid of revolution using the cylindrical shell method. The region enclosed by the curves y=x^3, y=-x, and y=1 is rotated around the line y=-1. The attempt at a solution and calculations are shown, and it is determined that the answer should be 169(pi)/42. However, there is confusion as the instructor has stated that the actual answer is 127(pi)/42. Further clarification is needed from the instructor.
kira137
Homework Statement

Evaluate using the cylindrical shell method, the volume of the solid of revolution obtained by rotating the region enclosed by the curves y=x^3, y=-x and y=1 around the line y=-1.

The attempt at a solution

The answer is suppose to be 127(pi)/42 but I keep getting 169(Pi)/42.

I first changed y=x^3 to x= y^(1/3) and y=-x to x=-y
then found radius = y+1
then height as y^(1/3)+y

then plugged into cylindrical formula.

S 2(pi)(y+1)(y^(1/3)+y) dy =

2(pi) S y^(4/3)+y^2+y^(1/3)+y dy =

2(pi) [(y^(7/3)/7/3) + (y^3)/3 + ((y^4/3)/4/3) +(y^2)/2] 0 to 1 =

2(pi) [3/7 + 1/3 + 3/4 + 1/2] =

2(pi) [36/84 + 28/84 + 63/84 + 42/84] =

2(pi)(169/84) = 338(pi)/84 = 169(pi)/42

I'm not sure where I went wrong.. I went over and over but I couldn't find out the problem.

your help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both my hand calculations and computer algebra system agree that

[tex]2\pi \int_{0}^{1} (y+1)(y^{1/3}+y)\; dy = \frac{169 \pi}{42}.[/tex]

Assuming that the region and axis of revolution are correct as stated, I believe your answer is correct.

Assuming that the boundary curves are correct and the axis of revolution is incorrect, I determined that in order to arrive at the official answer, the axis of revolution must be the line y = -3/5 (which I highly doubt would have been misconstrued as -1). I don't know what to tell you, other than to make sure you've copied the question correctly and if so, speak to your instructor. Solution manuals have been known to be wrong.

--Elucidus

My instructor mailed the class saying that the actual answer is 169(pi)/42.

I appreciate you going over the question, thank you!

Related to Solving by using cylindrical shell method

1. What is the cylindrical shell method?

The cylindrical shell method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by integrating the surface area of cylindrical shells over a given interval.

2. When is the cylindrical shell method used?

The cylindrical shell method is typically used when the shape being rotated around an axis is not a solid disk or when the axis of rotation is not along the edge of the shape.

3. How is the cylindrical shell method different from the disk method?

The disk method involves integrating the cross-sectional area of the solid while the cylindrical shell method involves integrating the surface area of cylindrical shells. The disk method is used when the axis of rotation is along the edge of the shape, whereas the cylindrical shell method is used when the axis of rotation is not along the edge.

4. What are the steps for using the cylindrical shell method?

The steps for using the cylindrical shell method are as follows: 1) Draw a diagram of the solid being rotated and identify the axis of rotation. 2) Divide the solid into infinitesimally thin cylindrical shells. 3) Write the formula for the surface area of a cylindrical shell. 4) Set up the integral by multiplying the surface area formula by the height of the shell and integrating over the given interval. 5) Solve the integral and simplify the answer to find the volume.

5. What are the limitations of the cylindrical shell method?

The cylindrical shell method can only be used for solids of revolution, meaning the resulting shape is created by rotating a 2-dimensional cross-section around an axis. Additionally, the shape being rotated must have a constant thickness in order for the method to accurately calculate the volume.