Solving Bill's Elevator Mystery: Weight and Distance

In summary, Bill gets into an elevator on the 40th floor of a building and it begins moving at t = 0s. The figure shows his apparent weight over the next 12s. By analyzing the graph, we can determine that the elevator is initially moving up, his weight is his mass divided by gravity, and he travels a distance determined by the acceleration and time.
Cfem

Homework Statement

Bill gets into an elevator on the 40th floor of a building and it begins moving at t = 0s. The figure shows his apparent weight over the next 12s.

Is the Elevator moving up or down originally?
What is his weight?
How far does he travel over the first 12 seconds

graph.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A is taken care of.

But for Part B (and therefore part C), I assumed that his weight at t = 0 was his mass, so divided that by gravity, but that answer was spit out (automated grading system). I'm assuming that this is because the elevator starts moving at 0, but if that's the case I'm not sure what to do about his original mass.

I know once I have that I can use the difference at each interval to find the acceleration and therefore distance, but it's the original mass that's confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Three conditions are possible: upward acceleration (highest weight), constant speed (normal weight), and downward acceleration (lower weight). You should be able to pick out the middle one on the graph and that will be your normal weight.

Related to Solving Bill's Elevator Mystery: Weight and Distance

1. How does weight affect the speed of an elevator?

Weight plays a significant role in the speed of an elevator. The more weight that is added to an elevator, the slower it will move. This is because the elevator motor has to work harder to lift the additional weight, resulting in a decrease in speed.

2. How do distance and weight impact the force needed to move an elevator?

The force needed to move an elevator is directly related to both the distance it needs to travel and the weight it is carrying. The further the elevator needs to travel, the more force is required to move it. Similarly, the heavier the weight, the more force is needed to lift it.

3. How does the elevator's motor work to lift and lower the elevator?

The elevator's motor is responsible for lifting and lowering the elevator. It uses a system of ropes and pulleys to move the elevator car up and down. When the motor rotates in one direction, the elevator goes up, and when it rotates in the opposite direction, the elevator goes down.

4. Can adjusting the weight limit on an elevator affect its speed?

Yes, adjusting the weight limit on an elevator can impact its speed. If the weight limit is increased, the elevator will move slower because it is carrying more weight. On the other hand, if the weight limit is decreased, the elevator will move faster because it is carrying less weight.

5. How can we use the knowledge of weight and distance to solve Bill's elevator mystery?

By understanding the relationship between weight and distance and how they affect the speed and force needed to move an elevator, we can use this knowledge to analyze the data from Bill's elevator mystery. By looking at the weight and distance measurements, we can determine if they are within the elevator's weight limit and how far the elevator needs to travel, which can help us solve the mystery.