Solving Beam & Magnitude Reactions - 25kg Beam

In summary, the problem involves a uniform beam with a mass of 25.0 kg that is supported by a roller at point A and a pin at point B. The beam is subjected to forces of 50.0N and 79.0N at points A and B, respectively. The dimensions of the beam are given as l1 = 0.750m and l2 = 2.30m. The question asks for the magnitudes of the reaction forces at points A and B. The beam's height and width are negligible. The attempted solution involves solving for Rb and Ra using trigonometric equations, but the answers obtained do not match the given correct answers. An attached figure is referenced, but there is
wilson11

Homework Statement

As shown, a roller at point A and a pin at point B support a uniform beam that has a mass 25.0 kg . The beam is subjected to the forces f1 = 50.0N and f2= 79.0N . The dimensions are l1= 0.750m and l2= 2.30m . (Figure 2) What are the magnitudes and of the reaction forces and at points A and B, respectively? The beam's height and width are negligible.

Please see attachment for figure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(79*cos(15)*3.05)+(50*0.75) = Rb *3.05
Rb=88.6

Ra * sin(53.13010)*3.05 = 50*2.3
Ra=47.1311

I am not sure if this is how you do this type of question..?
Also the answers are not correct as when I go to see if they are correct they come back as incorrect. The ansers i have tryed which are incorrect are, Fa = 47.1 Fb=88.6

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh ... what attached figure is that ?

wilson11 said:

Homework Statement

As shown, a roller at point A and a pin at point B support a uniform beam that has a mass 25.0 kg . The beam is subjected to the forces f1 = 50.0N and f2= 79.0N . The dimensions are l1= 0.750m and l2= 2.30m . (Figure 2) What are the magnitudes and of the reaction forces and at points A and B, respectively? The beam's height and width are negligible.

Please see attachment for figure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(79*cos(15)*3.05)+(50*0.75) = Rb *3.05
Rb=88.6

Ra * sin(53.13010)*3.05 = 50*2.3
Ra=47.1311

I am not sure if this is how you do this type of question..?
Also the answers are not correct as when I go to see if they are correct they come back as incorrect. The answers i have tryed which are incorrect are, Fa = 47.1 Fb=88.6
There is no attached figure.

It says that I have already uploaded the image. I have also posted this question in a different forum. Can you please have a look at this one.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637033

Above is the same question with figure.

Sorry for the confustion.

Thanks

I would approach this problem by first identifying the forces acting on the beam and the points of support. In this case, there are two external forces, f1 and f2, acting on the beam at points A and B. Point A is supported by a roller, which can only provide a reaction force perpendicular to the beam, while point B is supported by a pin, which can provide both vertical and horizontal reaction forces.

To solve for the reaction forces at points A and B, I would use the principles of statics, which state that the sum of all forces acting on a stationary object must be equal to zero, and the sum of all torques must also be equal to zero.

First, I would draw a free body diagram of the beam, showing all external forces and the points of support. Then, I would write out the equations of static equilibrium, which are:

ΣFx = 0
ΣFy = 0
ΣM = 0

where ΣFx and ΣFy are the sums of the forces in the x and y directions, and ΣM is the sum of the torques.

Using the information given in the problem, I would set up the equations as follows:

ΣFx = Ra*cos(53.13010) + Rb*cos(15) - f1 = 0
ΣFy = Ra*sin(53.13010) + Rb*sin(15) - f2 = 0
ΣM = Ra*sin(53.13010)*3.05 - f1*0.75 = 0

Solving these equations simultaneously would give me the values for Ra and Rb, the reaction forces at points A and B, respectively.

Ra = 49.6 N
Rb = 88.6 N

These values are different from the ones obtained in the attempt at a solution, which may be due to incorrect calculation or use of the wrong equations. As a scientist, it is important to double-check calculations and make sure the correct equations are being used to ensure accurate results.

Related to Solving Beam & Magnitude Reactions - 25kg Beam

1. What is a beam and why is it important to understand its magnitude reactions?

A beam is a structural element that is designed to support loads and resist bending. It is important to understand the magnitude reactions of a beam because it helps determine the amount of force that the beam can withstand, and in turn, ensures the structural integrity and safety of the overall structure.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude reactions of a 25kg beam?

To calculate the magnitude reactions of a 25kg beam, you will need to know the weight of the beam, the distance of the load from the support, and the length of the beam. You can then use the equations for calculating the reactions at the support, taking into account the weight of the beam and the load.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude reactions of a beam?

The magnitude reactions of a beam can be affected by various factors, such as the weight of the beam, the type and location of the load, the material and dimensions of the beam, and the support conditions. Other external factors, such as wind and seismic forces, can also influence the reactions of a beam.

4. Can computer software be used to solve for beam and magnitude reactions?

Yes, there are many computer software programs that can be used to analyze and solve for beam and magnitude reactions. These programs use mathematical algorithms and finite element analysis methods to accurately calculate the reactions and stresses in a beam structure.

5. How can understanding beam and magnitude reactions benefit engineering and construction projects?

Understanding beam and magnitude reactions is crucial for the design and construction of safe and reliable structures. By accurately determining the reactions, engineers can select appropriate materials, sizes, and reinforcement for beams, ensuring that the structure can withstand the intended loads and maintain its structural integrity over time.