Solving Basic Algebra Question 1: x - (-6) = 12

In summary: But, perhaps, a student should be reminded to use the algebraic hierarchy. Makes it easier to understand.
KevinMWHM
1. x - (-6) = 12

To simplify, I want to get rid of the (-6). So wouldn't I say
2. x - (-6) +6 = 12 + 6
x = 18?

The book I'm using says to add (-6) to both sides but doesn't a neg + neg still equal a neg? I've been flawless to this point, what's confusing me?

The books answer
2. x - (-6) + (-6) = 12 - 6
x = 6

Physics news on Phys.org
-(-6) + 6 = 6 + 6

KevinMWHM said:
1. x - (-6) = 12

2. x - (-6) +6 = 12 + 6
x = 18?

The book I'm using says to add (-6) to both sides but doesn't a neg + neg still equal a neg? I've been flawless to this point, what's confusing me?
In the original equation a number is being subtracted from x. To isolate the x you need to add the same number.

If the equation was
[tex]x - 6 = 12[/tex]
you would add 6 to both sides:
[tex]x - 6 + 6 = 12 + 6[/tex]

But your equation is
[tex]x - (-6) = 12[/tex]
which still has a subtraction, so you have to add (-6) to both sides:
[tex]x - (-6) + (-6) = 12 + (-6)[/tex]

Another way to solve the equation is to first rewrite the subtraction as an addition:
[tex]\begin{aligned}
x - (-6) &= 12 \\
x + 6 &= 12
\end{aligned}[/tex]
Now that you have an addition, you subtract 6 from both sides to isolate the x:
[tex]x + 6 - 6 = 12 - 6[/tex]

Hope this makes sense.

KevinMWHM said:
1. x - (-6) = 12

2. x - (-6) +6 = 12 + 6
x = 18?

The books answer
2. x - (-6) + (-6) = 12 - 6
x = 6

Your first step is to remove the parens by resolving -(-6), THEN you substract something from both sides of the equation.

AC130Nav said:
Your first step is to remove the parens by resolving -(-6), THEN you substract something from both sides of the equation.
That is one way of doing the problem. You don't have to do it that way. eumyang showed how to do it following the OP's method.

HallsofIvy said:
That is one way of doing the problem. You don't have to do it that way. eumyang showed how to do it following the OP's method.

But, perhaps, a student should be reminded to use the algebraic hierarchy. Makes it easier to understand.

Related to Solving Basic Algebra Question 1: x - (-6) = 12

What is basic algebra?

Basic algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and solving of equations and expressions using letters and symbols to represent variables.

What is the difference between an equation and an expression?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the equality between two expressions, while an expression is a combination of numbers, variables, and mathematical operations.

What are the basic algebraic operations?

The basic algebraic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is the set of rules used to determine which operations should be performed first when solving an equation. The order is as follows: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), addition and subtraction (from left to right).

How can basic algebra be applied in real life?

Basic algebra can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating finances, solving problems in physics and engineering, and making predictions in science and economics.