Solving Atom Velocity in Non-relativistic Limit

• Thread starter Chen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of an atom after emitting a photon and simplifying the expression using the non-relativistic limit. The limit assumes that the final velocity of the atom is much smaller than the speed of light and involves expanding the last expression in a power series. The conversation ends with a humorous suggestion to embrace power series as friends.
Chen
Hello,
I have an atom of mass M which is on an energy level of E1. After emitting a photon, it comes down to a lower level E0. The question is - what's the velocity of the atom after the photon emission? And it says to simplify the expression using the "non-relativistic limit". I'm not sure what the last phrase means, can anyone please explain?

Here's my solution of the problem:

[tex]\Delta E = E_1 - E_0[/tex]

From conservation of momentum we have:

[tex]M v + \frac{h \nu}{c} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\nu = -\frac{M c v}{h}[/tex]

And from conservation of energy:

[tex]\Delta E = h\nu + \frac{M v^2}{2}[/tex]

Substituting [tex]\nu[/tex] we get:

[tex]M v^2 - 2 M c v - 2\Delta E = 0[/tex]

[tex]v_{1,2} = \frac{2 M c +/- \sqrt{4 M^2 c^2 + 8 M \Delta E}}{2 M}[/tex]

Since [tex]v < c[/tex] we must choose:

[tex]v = c - \sqrt{c^2 + \frac{2 \Delta E}{M}}[/tex]

And now I need to simplify this expression. I guessed that the limit should be:

[tex]\frac{\Delta E}{M c^2}[/tex] -> 0

But I'm really not sure. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Chen

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the nonrelativistic limit assumes that the final velocity of the atom is much smaller than c. Equivalently, the change in energy is small compared to the rest mass energy. You should expand that last expression in a power series.

Great, thanks. Although ideologically, I like to avoid power series whenever possible:

[tex]v = c - \sqrt{c^2 + \frac{2 \Delta E}{M}} = \frac{c^2 - c^2 - \frac{2 \Delta E}{M}}{c + \sqrt{c^2 + \frac{2 \Delta E}{M}}} = \frac{- \frac{2 \Delta E}{M c}}{1 + \sqrt{1 + \frac{2 \Delta E}{M c^2}}} = - \frac{\Delta E}{M c}[/tex]

Chen

Don't like power series? But power series are your friends! Why don't you want to hang out with your friends? Haha. :smile:

They're ok, but it would be such an overkill to expand this expression into a series... :)

Related to Solving Atom Velocity in Non-relativistic Limit

What is the non-relativistic limit in solving atom velocity?

The non-relativistic limit is a simplification used in physics to describe the behavior of particles when their speed is much smaller than the speed of light. In this limit, the effects of special relativity can be ignored, and classical mechanics equations can be used to solve for the velocity of atoms.

Why is it important to solve for atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit?

Solving for atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit is important because it allows us to accurately predict and understand the behavior of atoms in many physical systems. This is particularly useful in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and condensed matter physics.

What equations are used to solve for atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit?

The most commonly used equations to solve for atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit are Newton's second law of motion and the equations of motion from classical mechanics. These equations can be manipulated to solve for the velocity of an atom under different conditions.

What factors can affect atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit?

There are several factors that can affect atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit, including external forces such as electric and magnetic fields, temperature, and collisions with other particles. The mass and charge of the atom and the properties of the medium it is moving through can also have an impact on its velocity.

How can solving for atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit be applied in real-world situations?

Solving for atom velocity in the non-relativistic limit has many practical applications. For example, it can be used to understand the behavior of atoms in gas and liquid flows, chemical reactions, and the properties of materials. It is also important in the design of technologies such as semiconductors, lasers, and nuclear reactors.