Solving associated Legendre equation

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Legendre
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the associated Legendre differential equation using series expansion around one of its regular singularities. The procedure involves expanding p(x) and q(x) in Laurent series, solving for r, and writing y as a series to find the coefficients. The conversation also addresses potential issues with using x in the recursion relation for finding the coefficients.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm trying to solve the associated Legendre differential equation:

[itex]
y''+\frac{2x}{x^2-1}y'+[ \lambda+\frac{m^2}{x^2-1}]y=0
[/itex]

By series expansion around one of its regular singularities.(e.g. [itex]x_0=1[/itex])

This equation is of the form:

[itex]
y''+p(x)y'+q(x)y=0
[/itex]

Which is solved by the following procedure:
1-Expand p(x) and q(x) in laurent series:

[itex]
p(x)=\sum_{-1}^{\infty} A_n (x-x_0)^n \\ \\
q(x)=\sum_{-2}^{\infty} B_n(x-x_0)^n
[/itex]

2-Solve the equation [itex] r^2+(A_{-1}-1)r+B_{-2}=0 [/itex] for r
3-Based on the value(s) of r, write y as a series and find the coefficients by substitution in the differential equation.

For the associated Legendre eqaution,I find [itex] A_{-1}=1 [/itex] and [itex] B_{-2}=0 [/itex]
which means r=0.So the solutions have the forms:

[itex]
y_1=1+\sum_1^{\infty}a_n(x-1)^n \\
y_2=y_1 \ln{|x-1|}+\sum_0^{\infty}b_n(x-1)^n
[/itex]

When I substitute [itex] y_1 [/itex] in the equation,I get the following:

[itex]
\sum_1^{\infty} [ n(n+1)a_n + \large{\frac{2xna_n}{x+1} +\frac{m^2 a_{n-1}}{x+1} }](x-1)^n+[\lambda(x-1)+\frac{m^2}{x+1}](x-1)=0
[/itex]

Now I have two questions:
1-Its obvious that the relation between [itex] a_n [/itex] and [itex] a_{n-1} [/itex] involves x.Is it acceptable?why?
2-How am I supposed to use the equation,which is gained by equating the terms outside the sum to zero?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,I guess I should change my question a bit.
First,the differential equation I wrote in the last post isn't the associated legendre equation.
Second,I now understand its completely wrong to have x in the recursion relation.
So I should ask,what's wrong with my way of solving that equation?
Thanks

Related to Solving associated Legendre equation

1. What is the associated Legendre equation?

The associated Legendre equation is a second-order differential equation that is used to solve problems in mathematical physics, particularly in the study of spherical harmonics. It is named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre.

2. What are the applications of the associated Legendre equation?

The associated Legendre equation has various applications in physics, such as in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the fields of geophysics, acoustics, and signal processing.

3. How is the associated Legendre equation solved?

The associated Legendre equation can be solved using various methods, including the Frobenius method, the power series method, and the method of separation of variables. The solution involves finding the associated Legendre polynomials, which are solutions to the equation.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving the associated Legendre equation?

The boundary conditions for solving the associated Legendre equation depend on the specific problem being solved. However, some common boundary conditions include the regularity condition and the orthogonality condition. These conditions help determine the appropriate form of the solution.

5. What are the limitations of the associated Legendre equation?

While the associated Legendre equation is a powerful tool in solving problems in mathematical physics, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it can only be used for problems with spherical symmetry. It also has limited applicability to problems with complex geometries or boundary conditions.