Solving Archimedes Problem: Rod in Pool

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Archimedes
In summary, the problem involves a 6 meter rod with specific gravity 25/36, one end of which is attached to a 5 meter rope and submerged in a pool 10 meters deep. Using equations of statics and considering the density of the rod, it can be determined that the rod will float and that the length of the part of the rod outside of the water will be 1 meter.
erisedk

Homework Statement

A rod 6 meters in length has specific gravity 25/36. One end of the rod is tied to a 5 meter rope, which in turn is attached to the floor of a pool 10 meters deep. Find the length of the part of rod, which is out of water.

The answer is 1 meter.

Homework Equations

mg=V(imm)p(l)g=V(rod)p(rod)g

F(of buoyancy)=Tension + mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what to do, but here's what I did anyway.

I tried using V(imm)*density of fluid=V(rod)*density of rod. But then I thought that there should be a tension component in the force equation as well. I further tried ignoring tension, and using the above mentioned equation to figure out how much of the rod would be outside. I got 2meters. I figured I could use trig to figure out the angle of inclination with the water level, but I couldn't really use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry forgot the figure

Attachments

• IMG_20141005_231348971.jpg
    IMG_20141005_231348971.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 466
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

A rod 6 meters in length has specific gravity 25/36. One end of the rod is tied to a 5 meter rope, which in turn is attached to the floor of a pool 10 meters deep. Find the length of the part of rod, which is out of water.

The answer is 1 meter.

Homework Equations

mg=V(imm)p(l)g=V(rod)p(rod)g

F(of buoyancy)=Tension + mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what to do, but here's what I did anyway.

I tried using V(imm)*density of fluid=V(rod)*density of rod. But then I thought that there should be a tension component in the force equation as well. I further tried ignoring tension, and using the above mentioned equation to figure out how much of the rod would be outside. I got 2meters. I figured I could use trig to figure out the angle of inclination with the water level, but I couldn't really use it.

Hint: Analyze the rod as a free body. Since you know the density of the rod (or specific gravity, in this case), you should be able to determine if the rod floats. If the rod is capable of floating, you should be able to write equations of statics using the end tied to the rope as your reference. Knowing other facts, like the depth of the pool, you should be able to calculate how much of the rod sticks out of the pool when it is in equilibrium.

Related to Solving Archimedes Problem: Rod in Pool

1. How do you determine the weight of the rod in the pool?

The weight of the rod can be found by using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. By measuring the volume of water displaced by the rod, you can calculate its weight based on the density of water.

2. What is the formula for solving Archimedes' problem?

The formula for solving Archimedes' problem is: Buoyant force = Weight of the fluid displaced. This can also be written as: Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the fluid displaced, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you measure the volume of water displaced by the rod?

The volume of water displaced by the rod can be measured by filling a graduated cylinder with water and recording the initial volume. Then, immerse the rod in the cylinder and record the new volume. The difference between the two volumes will give you the volume of water displaced by the rod.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the solution to Archimedes' problem?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the solution include the accuracy of the measurements, the precision of the equipment used, and the assumption that the fluid is incompressible. Additionally, the presence of air bubbles or the shape of the object can also impact the accuracy of the solution.

5. Can Archimedes' principle be applied to other objects in a fluid?

Yes, Archimedes' principle can be applied to any object in a fluid, not just a rod in a pool. It can be used to determine the buoyant force on a ship, a submarine, or even a hot air balloon. As long as the object is partially or fully submerged in a fluid, the principle can be used to solve for its weight or density.