Solving Angular Velocity of Particle Skimming a Planet

• Thread starter treynolds147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary, the angular velocity of a particle traveling in a parabolic orbit in a planet's gravitational field and skimming the surface at its closest approach can be calculated using the expression \omega=4\sqrt{\frac{MG}{d^{3}}}, where d represents the focal length of the parabola and M is the planet's mass determined by its density and radius. However, in order to accurately calculate the angular velocity, an expression for μ, which includes G and the planet's mass, must also be used.
treynolds147

Homework Statement

A particle travels in a parabolic orbit in a planet's gravitational field and skims the surface at its closest approach. The planet has mass density ρ. Relative to the center of the planet, what is the angular velocity of the particle as it skims the surface?

Homework Equations

[itex]L=mr^{2}\omega[/itex]
[itex]r_{min}=\frac{L^{2}}{m\gamma(1+\epsilon)}[/itex], where ε is the eccentricity of the orbit, and γ = GMm.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I used the knowledge that the minimum radius for a parabolic orbit is d/2, d being the focal length of the parabola. Because the particle is skimming the surface of the planet at this point, the radius of the planet must also be d/2. I equated that to the expression of rmin, substituting in the expression for L and using d/2 as r. I ended up getting
[itex]\omega=4\sqrt{\frac{MG}{d^{3}}}[/itex].
The units of this come out properly, but I have this nagging feeling that I did something wrong along the way. Can someone point out my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
One problem occurs to me: What's d? I mean, its value in terms of the variables given in the problem statement?

You'll want to find an expression for the angular velocity that uses the variables given. You can work with the density to find the mass in terms of the radius. Add G to the mix for an expression for μ...

Related to Solving Angular Velocity of Particle Skimming a Planet

1. What is angular velocity and how is it calculated?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or moves in a circular path. It is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time.

2. How is angular velocity related to particle skimming a planet?

Angular velocity is related to particle skimming a planet as it describes the rotational motion of the particle around the planet. It is used to calculate the speed and direction of the particle as it moves along a curved path around the planet.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a particle skimming a planet?

The angular velocity of a particle skimming a planet is affected by the mass of the particle, the mass and radius of the planet, and the distance between the particle and the planet's center of mass. Other factors such as air resistance and gravitational forces may also play a role in determining the angular velocity.

4. How can angular velocity be used to predict the path of a particle skimming a planet?

By using equations and formulas, angular velocity can be used to calculate the trajectory of a particle skimming a planet. This can help predict where the particle will be at a certain time and how it will move around the planet.

5. How does angular velocity differ from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to rotational motion while linear velocity refers to straight-line motion. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second. Additionally, angular velocity takes into account the distance from the center of rotation, while linear velocity does not.