Solving Angular Acceleration: Tips and Help for Inclined Planes and Formulas

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a cylinder on an inclined plane and using formulas for tangent acceleration and linear acceleration. The individual is stuck on creating a free body diagram and using the appropriate formulas. Another individual suggests treating the center of the circle as a particle and using F=ma, as well as using a 5-12-13 triangle for the linear acceleration. There is also discussion about whether the center of a circle has an angular acceleration, with one individual suggesting that it does not due to the radius being equal to zero.
tidus1117

Homework Statement

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6047/cilinderox6.jpg

Homework Equations

Tangent Acceleration, Linear Acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to made a free body diagram but i got confused with the inclined plane I am stuck there. Also with the Formulas for the accelerations...

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok I've been thinking about this and i think it might be two questions in one.

first, to analyze the linear motion of the center of the circle G. i would just treat the center as a particle, and use F=ma. draw out your FBD, use that 5-12-13 triangle instead of trig functions but in the same manner, that should get you the linear acceleration.

the second part is where i am getting confused. does the center of a circle have a angular acceleration? because the first derivation of angular acceleration would be displacement, S=(theta)(radius), but here radius is equal to zero, and therefore we have no S and therefore, no angular acceleration...

just an idea...

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. First, draw a free body diagram for the object on the inclined plane, labeling all the forces acting on it (e.g. gravity, normal force, friction). This will help you visualize the problem and identify any components that may be causing confusion.

Next, use the appropriate equations for the forces in the direction of motion (e.g. F=ma for linear acceleration). Keep in mind that for an inclined plane, the force of gravity will have a component parallel to the plane and a component perpendicular to the plane. You can use trigonometric functions to determine these components.

For angular acceleration, you can use the equation τ=Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the mass and dimensions of the object.

Overall, it's important to take your time and carefully consider each component of the problem. If you're still stuck, don't hesitate to reach out for additional help from your teacher or classmates. Good luck!

Related to Solving Angular Acceleration: Tips and Help for Inclined Planes and Formulas

1. What is Angular Acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, and is typically measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is Angular Acceleration different from Linear Acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are both measures of how quickly an object's motion is changing. However, angular acceleration refers to changes in the object's rotational motion, while linear acceleration refers to changes in the object's linear motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating Angular Acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is angular acceleration, ωf is final angular velocity, ωi is initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval over which the change in angular velocity occurs.

4. How is Angular Acceleration related to Torque?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to torque, as stated by Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion, τ = Iα, where τ is the torque applied to an object, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

5. How can Angular Acceleration be measured?

Angular acceleration can be measured using tools such as a rotary motion sensor, which measures the change in angular position and time to calculate angular velocity and then angular acceleration. It can also be calculated using the formula α = (ωf - ωi) / t, as long as the initial and final angular velocities and the time interval are known.