Solving an Integral Equation Involving x and 16

In summary: ThanksIn summary, the problem involves finding the values of a and b when given that the integral of the function x^n/(x^n+(16-x)^n) is equal to 6 and a+b=16. By applying a property, the integral can be rewritten as 2I=ab∫dx, where I represents the original integral. Since I is already known to be equal to 6, the values of a and b can be easily calculated.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If [itex] \displaystyle \int^b_a \dfrac{x^n dx}{x^n + (16-x)^n} = 6 [/itex] and a+b=16, then find a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \displaystyle \int^b_a \dfrac{dx}{1 + (16/x - 1)^n} = 6 [/itex]

I tried substitution but it did not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If [itex] \displaystyle \int^b_a \dfrac{x^n dx}{x^n + (16-x)^n} = 6 [/itex] and a+b=16, then find a and b.

What sub did you try? Hint: try ##x = 16-y## on the original integral.

This is a simple algebra problem, more or less. Very little actual integration need be done.

Hint:
[tex]
\int_a^b\frac{x^n}{x^n + (16-x)^n}\,\mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b 1\,\mathrm{d}x - \int_a^b\frac{(16-x)^n}{x^n + (16-x)^n}\,\mathrm{d}x
[/tex]
Can you find a substitution which turns the integrand of the second integral on the right into the integrand of the integral on the left?

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Why do you need substitution right now ?

Apply the property:

I= [itex] \displaystyle \int^b_a \dfrac{x^n dx}{x^n + (16-x)^n} [/itex]

And I= [itex] \displaystyle \int^b_a \dfrac{(16-x)^n dx}{(16-x)^n + (16-(16-x))^n}[/itex]

Now add the two to get,

2I= ab∫dx

Can you proceed? You already know that I=6...

sankalpmittal said:
Why do you need substitution right now ?

Apply the property:

I= [itex] \displaystyle \int^b_a \dfrac{x^n dx}{x^n + (16-x)^n} [/itex]

And I= [itex] \displaystyle \int^b_a \dfrac{(16-x)^n dx}{(16-x)^n + (16-(16-x))^n}[/itex]

Now add the two to get,

2I= ab∫dx

Can you proceed? You already know that I=6...

Oh that was so easy. I first thought of applying property but somehow couldn't notice that a+b=16 was already given.

Related to Solving an Integral Equation Involving x and 16

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves both a function and an integral of that function. It can be used to solve problems involving continuous processes or systems.

2. How do I solve an integral equation involving x and 16?

To solve an integral equation involving x and 16, you will need to use integration techniques to find the antiderivative of the function. Then, you can plug in the limits of integration (in this case, x and 16) and evaluate the integral to find the solution.

3. Can I use substitution to solve an integral equation with x and 16?

Yes, substitution is a common technique used to solve integral equations. It involves replacing a variable (in this case, x) with a new variable or expression to make the integral easier to evaluate.

4. Are there any special cases when solving an integral equation involving x and 16?

Yes, there are a few special cases that may arise when solving an integral equation with x and 16. These can include improper integrals, limits that approach infinity, or undefined integrals. In these cases, additional techniques may be needed to solve the equation.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving integral equations with x and 16?

Yes, integral equations involving x and 16 can be used to model and solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change in continuous processes.