Solving an Infinite Limit: Should I Factor?

In summary: So we can factor ##x## out of the denomenator.does x*ln(x) goes to oo faster or slower than x^4 as x-> oo ?I'm not sure what you're asking.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4 + x \ln x}{x + \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x} [/tex]

The attempt
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4 + x \ln x}{x + \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4(1 + \frac{x \ln x}{x^4}) }{x + \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x} [/tex]Should I factor ## x ## or ## \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x ## in the denomenator?

Physics news on Phys.org
what will happen to x+ (2/3)^x as x-> oo ?

does x*ln(x) goes to oo faster or slower than x^4 as x-> oo ?

malawi_glenn said:
what will happen to x+ (2/3)^x as x-> oo ?

does x*ln(x) goes to oo faster or slower than x^4 as x-> oo ?

I am aware that ##x^4## approaches infinity faster than the other expression in numerator. I am only interested in the denominator at this point. As for the first question ##x##
approaches infinity while ##\left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x## approaches 0.

so your expression goes as x^4/x = x^3 as x->oo, right?

malawi_glenn said:
so your expression goes as x^4/x = x^3 as x->oo, right?
Yup. But how come you factor x?

what do you mean by "factor x"?

I just note that x+(2/3)^x -> x as x->oo

malawi_glenn said:
what do you mean by "factor x"?

I meant that you factorize x from denominator. So we get ## \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4(1 + \frac{\ln x}{x^3}) }{x \left( 1 + \frac{ \frac{2}{3} ^x}{x} \right) } = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^3(1 + \frac{ \ln x}{x^3}) }{\left( 1 + \frac{ \frac{2}{3} ^x}{x} \right) } ##.

Rectifier said:
I meant that you factorize x from denominator. So we get ## \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4(1 + \frac{\ln x}{x^3}) }{x \left( 1 + \frac{ \frac{2}{3} ^x}{x} \right) } = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^3(1 + \frac{ \ln x}{x^3}) }{\left( 1 + \frac{ \frac{2}{3} ^x}{x} \right) } ##.

That would be one way to do it; another way would be to use l'Hospital's Rule; see, eg.,
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/LHospitalsRule.aspx

malawi_glenn said:

What does that expression even mean??

micromass said:
What does that expression even mean??

x + (2/3)^x has a linear asymptote with slope one as x -> oo

is that better?

Wasn't it obvious what I was trying to communicate?

Likes The Bill
Rectifier said:
The problem
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4 + x \ln x}{x + \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x} [/tex]

The attempt
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4 + x \ln x}{x + \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x} = \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{x^4(1 + \frac{x \ln x}{x^4}) }{x + \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x} [/tex]Should I factor ## x ## or ## \left( \frac{2}{3} \right)^x ## in the denomenator?

Another technique is to estimate the numerator and/or denominator. In this case the numerator is greater than ##x^4## and the denominator is less than ##2x##, so the overall expression is greater than ##\frac{x^4}{2x}##.

Related to Solving an Infinite Limit: Should I Factor?

1. What is an infinite limit?

An infinite limit is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value, typically infinity. It is used to describe the behavior of a function when its input is extremely large or extremely small.

2. When is it necessary to factor when solving an infinite limit?

Factoring can be helpful when solving an infinite limit, especially if the limit involves a rational function (a fraction with polynomials in the numerator and denominator). It can sometimes simplify the expression and make it easier to evaluate.

3. How do I know when to factor out the highest power of the variable?

The general rule is to factor out the highest power of the variable that appears in both the numerator and denominator of the expression. This can help to cancel out terms and simplify the expression.

4. What are some common strategies for solving infinite limits?

Some common strategies for solving infinite limits include using algebraic manipulation, factoring, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, and using special limits or rules (such as L'Hopital's rule).

5. Are there any cases where factoring is not necessary for solving an infinite limit?

Yes, there may be cases where factoring is not necessary for solving an infinite limit. For example, if the limit involves a polynomial function with no common factors between the numerator and denominator, factoring may not be helpful. In these cases, other strategies can be used to evaluate the limit.