Solving absolute value equation

In summary, to solve equations like ##\left | r-5 \right | = \left | r+2 \right |##, you need to consider two cases: when both expressions are the same sign and when they are opposite in sign. The solution to the original equation is the union of the solution sets for these two cases.
Mr Davis 97
I have the following equation: ##\left | r-5 \right | = \left | r+2 \right |##.

What is a general, analytical way that I can solve equations like these? I always get stumped when trying to solve them...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I have the following equation: ##\left | r-5 \right | = \left | r+2 \right |##.

What is a general, analytical way that I can solve equations like these? I always get stumped when trying to solve them...
Look at two cases:
1. Both expressions are the same sign; i.e., both are positive or both are negative.
2. The two expressions are opposite in sign.

The solution to the original equation is the union of the solution sets for the two cases.

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Solving absolute value equation

What is an absolute value equation?

An absolute value equation is an equation that contains an absolute value expression, which is represented by two vertical bars enclosing a number or expression. The absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on a number line, and it is always positive.

How do you solve an absolute value equation?

To solve an absolute value equation, you need to isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation and then set up two equations, one with the positive value and one with the negative value of the absolute value expression. Solve both equations and check your solutions to see if they satisfy the original absolute value equation.

Can an absolute value equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an absolute value equation can have one, two, or no solutions. It depends on the value of the absolute value expression and the other terms in the equation. If the absolute value expression has a coefficient, the equation may have more than two solutions.

Can an absolute value equation be written as a single equation?

Yes, an absolute value equation can be written as a single equation by using the concept of "distance from 0". For example, the absolute value equation |x-2| = 4 can be written as x-2 = 4 or x-2 = -4, which can then be solved for x.

What is the purpose of solving absolute value equations?

Solving absolute value equations is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can help find the distance between two points on a number line, calculate the magnitude of a vector, or determine the absolute error in a measurement. It is also used in solving real-world problems involving inequalities and absolute value functions.